Union...yes or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Union...yes or no?

I recently started working for Verizon and they have an optional Union.

Typically I would think 'why the hell not' but there are guys that are dead set against it.

I'm currently not in a managerial postion so I don't have to consider that.

I have no experience w/Unions and would relaly like some educated opinions and insight before I make my decision.

anyone?

Comment

A union depends on the company. If the company is giving you a good shake then there is no need for 1. They are expencive and if it is not strong then it is a waste of money. However if the company is taking advantage of people then it would be worth it. also if most of the company is union you might consider it. It all depends on how you feel you are being treated. Non Union companys are more personable and it is a nicer enviorment. No Unions are created = so you have much to consider

Comment

see how verizon treats you w/o being union, if you think you need the protection of a union for decent working rights (unions - the ones who gave you weekends!) you can join.

Comment

unions are what built this country - fought for 8 hour days and weekends off -- its the guys that turn there backs on what built this country is why worker rights are eroding today -- that and the mass of illegal scumbags crossing the border each day--

in other words ya i would go union

Comment

Union is always the best option. I am an operating engineer. I make 2x what non union heavy equiptment mechanics make sometimes more.
            If a pension(company paid union protected), good health care that costs you nothing(company paid) and someone who is gonna look out for your best interest. And most important keeping you from gettin screwed arent important to you then theirs no need for u to join.

Comment

From the few responses here and the people I have talked to so far from Verizon, it seems like the pros outway the cons in terms of joining the Union.

Comment

make sure you do your research! in most instances the benefits of joining the union are wonderful, however i just found out a local union is exploring the possibility of incorporating mine and my coworkers positions, all without our even being able to vote on it. We looked into what would change and our vacation time would actually go down, there'd be no increase in pay, and we'd be paying dues out of our paycheck.

Comment

Working...
                X