Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stress: It's Worse Than You Think - A MUST read for anyone with high stress.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stress Recovery

Yahoo RECOVERY days, on days off, I still go to the gym to RECOVER to do abs and lower back one day then abductors, sub-ductors (legs) and neck, the next day off, for never more than 20 minutes each time. I have earned the right to swim a few leisurely laps in the pool, sit in the dry sauna or steam room, then the industrial strength Jacuzzi letting it knead my back to the bone.

(It is a fact, that on these RECOVERY days when I’m done and leaving the gym, my heart rate and blood pressure have gone down.)

When you’re going on fifty years old and you have worked out for over 30 years, off and on, mostly on, and a desk jockey for a living – recovery, using proper form under tension, and stretching, become very important. At least to me it is. And it is important to everyone, if not now, then after some injuries. As I’m taking no prescription medication, I look about twelve to fifteen years younger than I am. At least that’s what more than one person has told me. I’m 5 foot 6 inches, O.K. 5 ½ inches, 179 pounds with a six pack. I think it might be working.

Here are some things you can start to do right away. Trust me when I say, if you are going to lift and train, you can do it the easy way or the hard way. The easy way is to do the following now, right now! And from now on!

1. Form. Be careful, don’t bounce your weights and sling them around, use correct form. If you don’t know how – ask. Look for someone in the gym who is older and in better shape than you are. I’ve found that most people are willing to take the time to help by answering a question or for a spot, etc. Also, hiring a good trainer for a couple of workouts, is not cost prohibitive. It could save you from trying to work out with multiple injuries or from not being able to work at all.

2. Stretching. Way overlooked and very important. I have never seen anyone, accept myself, do any serious stretching at the gym, before, during, or after working out. After my first and second warm up set, sometimes after every set depending on how it feels, I stretch that muscle group with stretching and pushing back to the point of grimacing, but not quite to the point of screaming in pain.

3. Recovery. Recovery is important. Find out and do what works for you to help your recovery, then stay consistent while at the same time experiment with some others, prayer, meditation, quiet time. Herbs like Valarian Root or even better, L-Theainine. No one else will do it for you.

The hard way is the way I did it in my younger days, especially when it came to form. It sucked. Two blown discs, twice torn rotator cuff, chronic pain in both shoulders and left elbow. But, I think I’ve learned my lesson, and now I’m doing it the easy way. I’m happy to say I haven’t had any injuries for a long time now, and perhaps if I’m careful I’ll never have any again. At least I hope so.

Comment

Working...
    X