• Show
Clear All

• Religious Differences

When we going to have our discussion?

Not while he's on vacation....;)

Comment

Originally posted by Shibby
      When we going to have our discussion?
      Hey - sorry - as FB said - I've been out of town...

That and I had almost forgotten we were going to have "that talk" - hit me up when you have a chance - my Fall semester doesn't start until Thursday so I will have a bit of time on my hands....

If FB doesn't have me all tied up :evil:

Comment

If you want to discuss it through PM's that's cool, I just thought it would be interesting to get others opinions on it.

Comment

No problem - how you wanna start...

Comment

I don't know where you know what, but we could start with the most common Christian vs. Jewish, then move on to other things like the Koran, Budah, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Shibby
              but we could start with the most common Christian vs. Jewish, then move on to other things like the Koran, Budah, etc.
              Oh boy...open the flood gates....

Comment

Maybe, but the intent is not to talk about who is right or wrong, or if there are facts. More just what each belive to be true and how it is different from others. Here is the discussion leading up to this http://www.superiormuscle.com/vbulle...light=religion

Comment

I don't know if either of you were aware of this but the "protesters" at the funeral were almost all entirely made up from the same family. To me, they certainly don't represent any other religious ideologies but are a bastardization of a christian religion, much like wahabbists are generally considered a bastardization of Islam and whose roots are located primarily in part of Saudi Arabia.

It is interesting that upon closer inspection religions start out as a peaceful organization meant to keep people from what basically amounts to anarchy. By using the carrot and the stick approach, these religions kept people more or less under a rule of law when there may have not otherwise real law enforced by a nation-state. So, stuff like don't kill, don't steal, don't commit adultery etc., was generally part of almost every organized religion. Where it gets iffy is when for instance in the Jewish faith, the Talamud was written later by jewish theologians which then indicated exceptions such as justifying murder in some cases.The religion of Islam is a peaceful religion in itself but then we have Fatwas issued that indicate that it is acceptable to kill non-muslim infidels in some cases. It's this type of meddling that such peaceful religions begin to tear at the seams and eventually, the original message is lost.

Comment

I was watching something on NGC about the ten commandments and about the "exceptions" made to those laws. About murder being ok at one point in war. Then it went to capital punishment, then capital punishment went away... anyways that was very interesting. No doubt that the christian religion has a big part in our country's development. The morals are there to teach right and wrong. But now that it's the law and people have evolved, for the most part, to be respectful of each other... That's where it get's interesting. It's all moral teachings in a story book and no longer "factual words".

Comment

This doesn't seem to be going anywhere, what you need is someone to come in and stimulate the debate with some radical thoughts, possibly atb the risk of annoying everyone, I'll try think who best

Comment

This guy is about the only thing organized religon has going for it... http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...rting+preacher

Comment

Ok - so I worked on typing something up and my computer got shut off and the "auto-save" option didn't work - wtf...

Anyways - I want to get this started ASAP but I just found out that we're getting the house appraised Monday and I need to get started on crap around the house that I've been putting off - I'll give this my best as soon as I can get back to fun stuff like typing :D....

Comment

I think if you are going to have such a broad and open discussion on such a topic that you should create a thread w/a title relating to the topic. 'Foghat' doesn't really conjur up ideas of religion ;)

Comment

:rolleyes: :D
                              Last edited by Shibby; 08-16-06, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X