Thailand government over thrown...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thailand government over thrown...

So a guy just checked into the hotel I work at and told me about it. His son is living over there and all media communications seem to have been cut. There is still internet from what I gather. This supposedly happened about 1pm est on the 19th. I can't find much on it from what we proabably consider realiable sources, but it does verify the hotel guests story.

Thai leader in luxury limbo as coup rages

NEW YORK: Holed up in a plush New York hotel, Thailand's Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra could do little but watch his own apparent ouster on television, as mutinous generals staged a coup in Bangkok.

As tanks rumbled through darkened Bangkok streets, Thaksin huddled with top aides in the luxurious confines of the 1,400 room Grand Hyatt hotel, which towers over fabled 42nd Street in the bustling heart of Manhattan.

Cut off, 11 times zones from home and with his political fate hanging by a thread, Thaksin launched a desperate, cross-continental rearguard action.

But as the coup raced to a climax, his aides in New York admitted they were losing touch with events.

In an ironic twist, the man who made billions from telecoms, couldn't get in touch with home, after rebellious troops seized government communications lines, a Thai official said on condition of anonymity.

"It is very difficult to communicate with people, to get to know the exact situation there," a harried official said.

Thaksin's aides wouldn't say whether he had been in touch with Thailand's King Bhumibol Adulyadej -- the country's beacon of stability as fragile democracy emerged from decades of political turmoil and coups.

As messages flashed across Thai television screens, declaring martial law in Bangkok, defiant Thaksin aides insisted he would not relinquish power.

"The Thai prime minister is quite calm," a senior Thai official said.

"He watched President George W Bush speaking at the UN General Assembly from his hotel room," the official said.

This has been news since early this morning. Where ya been. :P

Comment

Umm, not with the news lol.

Comment

WOW. Military coups are timeless, huh? They almost always happen when the leader is out of the country on a state visit.

I have some friends that are supposed to be travelling this week from Thailand to Vegas. I'm here right now for a function. I wonder if they will be able to make it out now... I know that it's REALLY hard to believe but the Thailand government leadership is/was corrupt. I know, it's a shocking statement, lol. It will be interesting to see who gets appointed to replace him.

Comment

:hmmm: You call this :whip: a function? I hear ya...

Good luck to your friends making the trip.

Comment

Good luck, hope everything works out.

Comment

Update: They will not be attending according to a mutual friend. Apparently things there seem relatively peaceful but with martial law declared, air travel would be tricky at best. That means a lot when you pay about $3,000. for an airline ticket to the US. Hopefully they will make it out next year. Thanks for the good sentiments, guys.

Comment

Working...
              X