Torre out as Yanks' skipper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torre out as Yanks' skipper

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6041078 - Lou Piniella as Yanks replacement.

Steinbrenner is an idiot. Joe Torre wins the WS 4 times and you can him? I think it has more to do with a team full of primadonnas that Steinbrenner brings over...sometimes it works & sometimes it doesn't. Anyway, nice to see that money can't buy a championship every year.

Comment

that was a pretty bad move. I'd take torre in a second in chicago

Comment

I agree with Torre getting the boot....after awhile, your players have heard all your motivational speeches and begin to tune you out. I don't agree with Pinella being the replacement though...the guy is a hotheaded moron!

Comment

Originally posted by hitmansb
          I agree with Torre getting the boot....after awhile, your players have heard all your motivational speeches and begin to tune you out. I don't agree with Pinella being the replacement though...the guy is a hotheaded moron!
          :bravonew: I'll second that.

Comment

I agree Steinbrenner is an idiot.

Comment

Steinbrenner put down the crack pipe and decided to keep Torre.

I agree that sometimes things need to be shaken up a bit, but I don't think managing a baseball team is as much about the manager as it is about the players and having good chemistry.

Football is where the real coaching comes into play.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofBone
                Steinbrenner put down the crack pipe and decided to keep Torre.

I agree that sometimes things need to be shaken up a bit, but I don't think managing a baseball team is as much about the manager as it is about the players and having good chemistry.

Football is where the real coaching comes into play.
                Yeah, no matter how good you are as a coach, if your players either won't listen to you or are complete idiots, your team is still going to lose. Take Larry Brown from the NBA. When he coached the Sixers, AI's childish crap kept that team from winning a championship. When he went to the Pistons, they listened to him and did what he asked. Rasheed Wallace notwithstanding, they played like a team and won a championship. When he went to the Knicks, Marbury couldn't stop running his mouth like a drama queen bitch which destroys any and all team chemistry and the Knicks suck. They're freakin loaded with talent, but they can't play together worth a shit. Larry Brown is a great coach, but if your players act like children instead of adults, you're gonna go nowhere.

The Yankees also try to micro-manage each year which isn't going to work for long. You might be able to engineer a championship every now and again, but you can't build a dynasty like the Yankees of old that way.

Comment

Originally posted by babyblues
                  The Yankees also try to micro-manage each year which isn't going to work for long. You might be able to engineer a championship every now and again, but you can't build a dynasty like the Yankees of old that way.
                  You bring up a good point. ESPN sort of referenced this. I believe everybody in the organization above Steinbrenner micro-manages. Torre is a good fit because he is more laid back & I think he is a good guy. If it was anybody else in there, they would be in real trouble. I say this because Sheffield, Jeter, ARod, Giambi, & Damon don't need a fierce, fired up coach in there trying to motivate them & tell them what to do.

Also, the Yankees' marquee players all got healthy at the wrong time. Sheffield played less than 1/4 of the season and he comes back to take AB's away from someone like Cabrera who had been playing very well.

That is where someone making 15 million or so vs. some rookie or younger player making < 1 million or even a couple million can hurt you. The owner is going to expect the high priced players to be on the field whether or not they're outproducing the younger player.

I don't buy the experience factor either. I mean it is MLB & that in itself has to be nerve racking as hell, but people get beyond it.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofBone
                    Also, the Yankees' marquee players all got healthy at the wrong time. Sheffield played less than 1/4 of the season and he comes back to take AB's away from someone like Cabrera who had been playing very well.

That is where someone making 15 million or so vs. some rookie or younger player making < 1 million or even a couple million can hurt you. The owner is going to expect the high priced players to be on the field whether or not they're outproducing the younger player.

I don't buy the experience factor either. I mean it is MLB & that in itself has to be nerve racking as hell, but people get beyond it.
                    I can understand putting your money players on the field, but any player can get hot at any time no matter how much money they're payed. The opposite can happen too. Any player can go into a slump at any time. How many times do you see players revamp their swing? Infielders can be plagued by errors on routine plays they've made thousands of times without thinking because they're thinking. I think that a general manager's job is to address stuff like that. If your money players aren't up to snuff, replace them with someone who is. It's their job to keep their players' heads in the game where they should be and evaluate each position and put people in the positions where they will be most effective. I mean, if you were A-rod and knew you were going to start each and every game no matter how shitty you were playing, would you be too concerned about your performance? Rookies have something to prove and play their asses off.

Comment

agreed

Comment

Originally posted by babyblues
                        I think that a general manager's job is to address stuff like that. If your money players aren't up to snuff, replace them with someone who is..
                        easier said then done.
                        It's their job to keep their players' heads in the game where they should be and evaluate each position and put people in the positions where they will be most effective. I mean, if you were A-rod and knew you were going to start each and every game no matter how shitty you were playing, would you be too concerned about your performance? Rookies have something to prove and play their asses off.
                        A-rod had an amazing year stats wise.

there keeping Torre anywahy stienrenner said hes isnto going to give hime 7million without earning it.

Comment

A-Rod is going to have a mental breakdown if he stays in NY.... he can't handle the pressure

Comment

Working...
                          X