Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aircraft crashes into Manhattan building ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aircraft crashes into Manhattan building ...

Just happend a couple minutes ago, could be an accident. Messed up world we live in.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/plane_nyc

Aircraft crashes into Manhattan building

4 minutes ago

NEW YORK - A small aircraft crashed into a high-rise on the Upper East Side, setting off a fire and startling New Yorkers, police said. There were conflicting reports on whether the aircraft was a small plane or a helicopter.

Fire Department spokeswoman Emily Rahimi said an aircraft struck struck the 20th floor of a building on East 72nd Street. Witnesses said the crash caused a loud noise, and burning and falling debris was seen. Flames were seen shooting out of the windows. Video from the scene showed at least three apartments in the high rise fully engulfed in flames.

"There's huge pieces of debris falling," said one witness who refused to give her full name. "There's so much falling now, I've got to get away."

Whether anyone was injured was not known, and it was unclear if the crash was an act of terrorism.

The address of the building is 524 E. 72nd Street — a 50-story condominium tower built in 1986 and located nearby Sotheby's Auction House. It has 183 apartments, many of which sell for more than $1 million.

WTF? Horrible thing to happen, planned or not.

Comment

Comment

from what they are reporting on tv, two bodies have been found. It looks to be a small aircraft that misjudged it's landing in the bay.

Comment

you guys have no idea how many planes and helicopters fly around NYC all day long. i just took this pic about 2 weeks ago when we were in the city. the first pic is taken from New Jersey looking across the river. if you look at the top of the picture, you will see a plane. in the 15 minutes i was standing in this area, i bet 30 or more helicopters and planes of all sorts flew right by us. stupid.

The second shot is just a nice pic of NYC and the empire state building. pic was taken from west new york, New jersey.
          Attached Files

Comment

Looks like it was a Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle, who was part of the Bobby Abreu trade.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2621860

Lidle dies as plane crashes into Manhattan high-riseESPN.com news services

NEW YORK -- A small plane piloted by New York Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle crashed into a 50-story condominium tower Wednesday on Manhattan's Upper East Side, raining flaming debris onto the sidewalks below and rattling New Yorkers' nerves five years after the Sept. 11 attack.

Lidle died in the crash.

The twin-engine plane came through a hazy, cloudy sky and hit the 20th floor of The Belaire -- a red-brick tower overlooking the East River, about five miles from the World Trade Center -- with a loud bang, touching off a raging fire that cast a pillar of black smoke over the city and sent flames shooting from four windows on two adjoining floors.

Comment

R.I.P Cory Lidle That is so crazy...but what I don't understand is after 9/11 why do they still let people fly over Manhattan. They definitely prohibit it over capital building... wow Cory Lidle R.I.P

Comment

Working...
              X