Exercise-induced asthma???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exercise-induced asthma???

I have been training the whole summer (lifting, cardio,timed mile runs). Now, my basketball team got into pre-season and we run a lot. I noticed that after many sprints I get exhausted, I feel my throat tighten and I can't breathe easily and I am wheezing. Coaches have been asking me if I have asthma or I have been tested for it, but I don't have asthma normally and have never been tested for it. I noticed that it is much harder for me to do many drills cause simply I get worn out so fast and I get out of breath. I can blame it probably on lack of shape, but then, why do other girls go through the drills easier while slaking off all summer and don't breathe like me?
    Any thoughts on that? should I get tested or give it another try and keep practicing through it?

I don't know. If you have never had a problem in all your years in sports, it seems unlikely. Maybe you are allergic to some kind of pollen in the air in Pittsburgh that you have never been around before?

Comment

asthma can come on later in life, i always had it but my sister didnt get it till she was 18, it can be trigged by exercise or pollens , allergic reations etc, get a test done , its pretty easy to control these days

Comment

Bouncer, I had some runny nose after exercise already in Oklahoma but it seems to be much worse in here plus on top of that the wheezing is just awful and I can't control it.
        I will talk to the athletic trainers today and get their opinion.
        Thanks to both of you for your input.

Comment

Take the test - it won't kill you to do so and they may be able to help you even if you don't have asthma...

I have EIA and it kills me - I KNOW I can outrun half the fu**s I used to race against but can't get past the burning lung symptoms that make my head feel like it's about to explode - I know my body is in great shape buy my asthma keeps me from things I love and it sucks - in other words -TAKE THE TEST....

Comment

what is EIA?

Comment

Originally posted by redback
              what is EIA?
              read the title of the thread. :bravonew:

Comment

ha ha oops

Comment

thanks,
                  for now I have been told that it may be allergies, but I will still see a doctor on Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by magdalena
                    thanks,
                    for now I have been told that it may be allergies, but I will still see a doctor on Monday.
                    Allergies can aggravate/bring it on...

Comment

Working...
                    X