Building a computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a computer

So my friends convinced me to build a computer, and avoid paying $1500 every 2 years for some pre-made shit. Why spend $1500, when you can spend $800-900 for something better. So here is the list on what i plan on putting in:

Antec P182 Gun Metal Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

XFX GX260NADDU GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, cUL, CE, CB, TUV

EVGA 123-YW-E175-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i FTW SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound

LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner

SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD Burner

SABRENT CRW-UINB 65-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader w/ USB 2.0 Port supports SDHC/VISTA

Microsoft Windows XP Media Center

Get your hardware from NewEgg.

Comment

Originally posted by blm View Post
      Get your hardware from NewEgg.

yup i know, your the 7th person to tell me about that, lol

Comment

or you can get your bare components from a place like Dell for under 500 bucks and upgrade the ram and graphics card yourself.

For instance,

using a dell EPP pricing, a dell price cut, and an online coupon.

I got a quadcore processor, 3 gig dual channel ram, 500 gb hard drive, case, power supply, dvd rw drive, and windows vista all for under 500 bucks

I upgraded to a pci express card, and pci sound card, and im rocking a darn good system for under 1000 bucks. BTW I already had the monitor and speakers

I will never build a computer again, and neither will you once you have multiple DOA's and have to try to RMA that shit and pay restocking fees, and then deal with incompatablity issues.

Take it from a former IT guy, it is more work and more expensive to build your PC yourself.

That being said, if you are building a gaming powerhouse with SLI interface, more than 4 gigs of ram, and PysX graphics proceessors, etc.. you will probabye break even or save some dough building it yourself.

Comment

to add on what nekra said, you could build the most powerful PC with all the top specs etc, spend 5k, and by this time next year it wouldn't be able to play the top games on max settings. fucks that, i will pass. i would rather have a $400-$500 computer for internet, email, music etc... and a 360 or ps3 for the games.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
            to add on what nekra said, you could build the most powerful PC with all the top specs etc, spend 5k, and by this time next year it wouldn't be able to play the top games on max settings. fucks that, i will pass. i would rather have a $400-$500 computer for internet, email, music etc... and a 360 or ps3 for the games.
            That is because you are boring.

$1200 got me a great computer that I built with a sexy blue case. Yea, all the girls love it.

Comment

Originally posted by NewbieChris View Post
              all the girls love it.
              i bet. lol

Comment

Let me put it out there, i don't know shit about computers, lol. I had about 4 people help me choose the parts and explain how they work. I still don't understand, lol

I am the type of person that walks into Sams Club, looks at a computer that cost anywhere from $1500-2000, point and my parents buy it. Been doing that for a few years and its working for me, lol.

Man, Nekra don't scare me like that man, i read about DOA's and i would hate for that to happen to me. Is there a way i can test each piece of equipment to make sure it works???

Comment

Originally posted by dna9488 View Post

I am the type of person that walks into Sams Club, looks at a computer that cost anywhere from $1500-2000, point and my parents buy it.
                  i am the type of person that walks into sams club, finds the little chubby guy who thinks he is big and splatters his fucking skull right in front of his parents. then i grab the father and say, "look at what your son has become due to your shitty parenting." then i grab the mom and dads head and smash them into each other. that's the kind of person i am.
                  Last edited by Bouncer; 07-18-08, 08:23 PM.

Comment

i am the type of person that walks into sams club, finds the little chubby guy who thinks he is big and splatters his fucking skull right in front of his parents. then i grab the father and say, "look at what your son has become due to your shitty parenting." then i grab the mom and dads head and smash them into each other. that's the kind of person i am.
                    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

chill bro, i don't have a sweet setup in life, nor a good one. I am just making the best of it until i get out of this shit hole or die young.

Comment

I am just making the best of it until die young.
                      i can help speed up the process for you. :)

Comment

i can help speed up the process for you. :)

No bro, i am being real serious right now. Like, what you said was real harsh, and it sounded like you meant it, so therefore i took it personally.

You have no idea what my life is like, nor do you know me personally.

I am so thankful that i didn't turn to drugs and/or alcohol, and turned to bodybuilding as my escape.

Comment

No bro, i am being real serious right now. Like, what you said was real harsh, and it sounded like you meant it, so therefore i took it personally.

You have no idea what my life is like, nor do you know me personally.

I am so thankful that i didn't turn to drugs and/or alcohol, and turned to bodybuilding as my escape.
                          i am being serious too, kill yourself. :)

Comment

i am being serious too, kill yourself. :)

I can't believe you man.

You helped me sooo much in the past (and I appreciate it BIG time), and now your going to turn on me and say shit like that????

Comment

I can't believe you man.

You helped me sooo much in the past (and I appreciate it BIG time), and now your going to turn on me and say shit like that????

Don't sweat it, he's an asshole. :breakit:

Comment

Working...
                              X