Eggs - The Good News and the Bad News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eggs - The Good News and the Bad News

Eggs have been the subject of a couple studies lately, and the reviews are mixed. First, there was a study telling us that eating eggs for breakfast can aid in weight loss. Now a new study states that eating eggs can raise your risk of type II diabetes. Nothing like a little bit of bad news with the good, huh?

In the more recent study, researchers reviewed data on both men and women for many years (20 years for the men, 12 years for the women). During the follow up period, more than 4,000 participants developed type II diabetes. It was found that the development of type II diabetes was more likely in those who frequently ate eggs. For example, men who ate one or fewer eggs per week were 9 percent more likely to develop the condition; men who ate more than seven eggs per week were 58 percent more likely to develop type II diabetes.

So which is it? Do you eat eggs more frequently in hopes that they will help you lose weight? Or do you avoid them for fear that they'll contribute to your diabetes risk? Like most things, it's best to enjoy eggs in moderation. Maybe they do aid in weight loss -- but so do lots of other healthful foods.

Thursday Nov 20, 2008 (foodconsumer.org) -- A new study published in Nov 18, 2008 issue of Diabetes Care suggests that eating eggs increases risk of type 2 diabetes both in men and women.

The study led by Djoussé L and colleagues showed high consumption of eggs led to high risk of type 2 diabetes.

For the study, the researchers looked at data from two completed randomized trial involving 20,703 men from Physicians' Health Study I (1982 to 2007) and 36,295 women from the Women’s Health Study (1992-2007).

Men and women were followed up for 20 years and about 12 years respectively. During the follow-ups, 1,921 men and 2,112 women developed type 2 diabetes.

It was found that men who ate less than 1, 1, 2 to 4, 5 to 6, and more than 7 eggs per week were 9, 9, 18, 46 and 58 percent more likely to develop type 2 diabetes respectively.

For women, the risk of diabetes was increased by 6,-3, 19, 18 and 77 percent respectively.

The researchers concluded that "these data suggest that high levels of egg consumption (daily) are associated with an increased risk of type 2 diabetes in men and women."

I wish it would say if those people exercised or not. I would like to know if the cause is because eating more eggs and not using the energy has any effect on the diabetes or if it's just about eating the eggs.

Comment

Good question, i love eggs, kinda scary.. hmmm

Comment

Originally posted by The_Jackal View Post
        Good question, i love eggs, kinda scary.. hmmm
        go with omega 3 eggs.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
          go with omega 3 eggs.
          why? From what I have read - they're not worth it - the amounts of EPA and DHA derived from them are negligible, especially DHA

I think this study is BS. Randomized trials means they didn't track their eating habits, so there are obviously other factors involved. It's not even worth the paper it's written on.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
            go with omega 3 eggs.

Hmm, is this like cartons of eggs or does the case say omega 3 on it ??

Comment

Studies tend to continually contradict themselves. Next yr it will be saying the opposite i bet....lol

gator:hang:

Comment

Sources of DHA and EPA - Total DHA + EPA (mg)

Atlantic salmon, cooked, 3 oz. (90 g) 1825
                Rainbow trout, cooked, 3 oz. (90 g) 981
                Sockeye salmon, canned, 3 oz. (90 g) 982
                White tuna, skipjack, 3 oz. (90 g) 733
                Fish oil capsule, 1000 mg 300
                Naturegg Omega Pro, 50 ml 293
                Naturegg Omega 3 Eggs, 1 whole egg 82
                Neilson Dairy Oh! homogenized milk, 1 cup (250 ml) 20
                Neilson Dairy Oh! 2% milk, 1 cup (250 ml) 10
                Black Diamond DHA Omega 3 cheese, 1 oz. (30 g) 20
                Danino Yogurt, 100 g 20

Sources of ALA - Total ALA (mg)

Walnuts, English, 14 halves (28 g) 2575
                Flaxseed oil, 1 tsp. (5 ml) 2416
                Flaxseed, ground, 2 tbsp. (25 ml) 2400
                Flax oil capsule, 1000 mg 500
                Ruth’s Certified Organic Hemp Oil, 1 tsp. (5 ml) 1100
                Ruth’s Certified Organic SoftHemp, 1 tsp. (5 ml) 567
                Canola oil, 1 tsp. (5 ml) 419
                Soybeans, 1/2 cup (125 ml) 514
                So Good Omega Soy Beverage, 1 cup (250 ml) 700
                Country Harvest Whole Grain Breads, 2 slices 600 to 2000
                Lactantia Healthy Attitude Omega 3 500
                margarine, 2 tsp (10 ml)
                Astro Biobest Omega 3 Yogurt, 113 g 300
                Beatrice Omega 3 Milk Beverage, 1 cup (250 ml) 300
                Natrel Omega 3 Milk Beverage, 1 cup (250 ml) 300
                Naturegg Omega 3 Eggs, 1 egg 300

as you can see 1 Omega 3 egg gives you a whopping 82mg total of EPA & DHA
                Last edited by gdbear65; 11-25-08, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Hmm, is this like cartons of eggs or does the case say omega 3 on it ??
                  they are actual omega 3 eggs. the hens are fed a diet of flax seeds. they have lower saturated fat etc.

they say omega 3 eggs right on the carton. you can get them at any store around in the US.

Comment

Im not in the US but i will take a look around, Thanks B

Comment

Im not in the US but i will take a look around, Thanks B
                      canada is the northern US so I am sure you will be able to find them in the egg section. :P

Comment

Working...
                      X