Youth Hockey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Youth Hockey?

What age do kids usually start playing ice hockey?

4-6 but 6 for league

Comment

Wayne Gretzky started when he was 4.

Comment

So would 4 be about the time kids are able to stay balanced on skates?

Comment

with you there, kids can skate as soon as they can walk.

Comment

Originally posted by mindstar View Post
            with you there, kids can skate as soon as they can walk.
            the only limitation might be finding a pair of skates small enough, but until they are steady on their feet, trying to get him/her to to skate may not be a good idea. To be sure, perhaps it would be best to wait until he/she is able to ride a bicycle without trainers.

Comment

Get them into skates at 3, and into skating lessons. Initiation hockey starts at 4 or 5, depending on the region.

Comment

Originally posted by gdbear65 View Post
                perhaps it would be best to wait until he/she is able to ride a bicycle without trainers.
                Your kid would suck so bad compared to the other kids if you waited that long, there'd be no point.

Comment

Originally posted by hitmansb View Post
                  Your kid would suck so bad compared to the other kids if you waited that long, there'd be no point.
                  I seriously doubt that - some kids don't start until later and they still do well - I didn't start skating until I was six or seven and believe me I was no worse than the other kids and in the mid nineties I was going to help coach a team of AAA 7 year olds - most of them couldn't skate well at all - had a hard time picking defensemen because none of them could skate backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by hitmansb View Post
                    Get them into skates at 3, and into skating lessons. Initiation hockey starts at 4 or 5, depending on the region.
                    i was going to say 5, never thought as early as 3.

Comment

Originally posted by gdbear65 View Post
                      I seriously doubt that - some kids don't start until later and they still do well - I didn't start skating until I was six or seven and believe me I was no worse than the other kids and in the mid nineties I was going to help coach a team of AAA 7 year olds - most of them couldn't skate well at all - had a hard time picking defensemen because none of them could skate backwards.
                      Where are you located? I'm in Ontario, Canada...and around here the kids who play A are good skaters by 7. A buddy of mine has a kid who started hockey a year later than most of the kids he plays with (some kids have 2 years on him in that level) and it definately shows. And it's not like he didn't learn the skating basics earlier...but the jump from playing around on a pond to organized hockey is significant. It will take a whole summer of constant hockey camps to get him caught up (which, luckily, my buddy able willing to invest the time and money to do so).

Comment

Working...
                      X