What does Easter mean to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does Easter mean to you?

I mean apart from chocolate and some good movies, I tend to call all the family and stuff. I do consider myself Christian but wouldn't pretend to know loads apart from what school taught.

I got to thinking this morning and did some research, of course easter is about the resurection of christ, I read some more and its also the jewish celebration of the passover, when you consider what happened around this time of year for both these faiths the following suprising contradictions come to light;

For Jews, it represents the Egyptians releasing jews from slavery following ten plagues imparted by god, the tenth being the death of Egyptian first borns and it got me thinking, what about the ten commandments I thought one of them was thou shall not kill and here's god killing the first born of Egyptians.

Then you have Christianity's take on easter being about the resurection of christ, 3 days after being crucified in the opinion of the majority, by the jews.

So god saves the jews from slavery by killing the first born of the Egyptians (even though he says thou shall not kill) and some time later, the jews reward his efforts by slaying his first born, WTF!:wacko:
    Last edited by Mr I; 04-10-09, 03:22 AM.

Most apologists have reformed their belief to use murder instead of kill. Difference being the intent.

Multiple translations exist of the sixth commandment; the Hebrew words לא תרצח are variously translated as "thou shalt not kill" or "thou shalt not murder." Older Protestant translations of the Bible, those based on the Vulgate and Roman Catholic translations usually render it as "Thou shalt not kill," whereas Jewish and newer Protestant versions tend to use "You shall not murder." There is controversy as to which translation is more faithful, and both forms are quoted in support of many opposing ethical standpoints.

The Vulgate (Latin) translation has Non occides, i.e. "Thou shalt not kill." English translations using "kill" include the King James (Authorised) (1611) [although note Matthew 19:18 "do no murder," following the Vulgate non homicidium facies], the American Standard (1901) and Revised Standard (American Protestant, 1952) Versions. Almost all Roman Catholic translations, including the Douay-Rheims Bible (1609/1752), the New American Bible (1970), the New Jerusalem Bible (1985) and the Christian Community Bible (1986), have "kill." Martin Luther (German, 1534) also uses töten (kill).

Protestant translations using "murder" include the New International Version (American, 1978), New American Standard Bible (American, 1971), New English Bible (British Protestant, 1970), and the New King James (American, 1982), New Revised Standard (American, 1989) and English Standard (American Protestant, 2001) Versions. Jewish translations almost all use "murder," including the Jewish Publication Society of America Version (1917), the Judaica Press tanach (1963) and the Living Torah (1981). A Jewish exception to this pattern is the Artscroll or Stone Edition tanach (1996).

The Old Testament's examples of killings sanctioned by God are often cited in defense of the view that "murder" is a more accurate translation. Additionally, the Hebrew word for "kill" is הרג (harog), while the Hebrew word for "murder" is רצח (retzach), which is found in the Ten Commandments לא תרצח (lo tirtzach). In the fullness of the Old Testament Exodus 20:13 is abundantly evidenced as prohibiting unjust killing, rather than a universal injunction against all killing, as retzach is never used in reference to the slaying of animals, nor the taking of life in war, while its most frequent use is in reference to involuntary manslaughter and secondarily for murderers.

Comment

Originally posted by Shibby View Post
      Most apologists have reformed their belief to use murder instead of kill. Difference being the intent.
      I don't quite follow shibby, can you explain more please:)

Comment

I would like to point out the pagan spring equinox celebration. When there is more day than night allowing for the cycle of life to begin. The whole baby animals and egg coloring are ancient pagan celebration of these events.

Something to think about is why does the day that Christ died change each year depending on spring?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr incredible View Post
          I don't quite follow shibby, can you explain more please:)
          The thought is that in war there is not murder. It's a battle and their is killing. Or self defense isn't murder it's killing to protect yourself.

Comment

The thought is that in war there is not murder. It's a battle and their is killing. Or self defense isn't murder it's killing to protect yourself.
            Oh ok I get it thanks, I don't see how this changes things in the case of killing of the first born or of christ, both seem to be murder also since they are pre meditated and specific and not self defence and not really war.

Comment

Oh ok I get it thanks, I don't see how this changes things in the case of killing of the first born or of christ, both seem to be murder also since they are pre meditated and specific and not self defence and not really war.
              That's a whole debate about Judaism and Christianity.

Comment

That's a whole debate about Judaism and Christianity.
                haha yeah, lets not try and solve it, just wandered what easter meant for everyone generally:)

Are you in Europe now Shibbs, no-ones usually up this early sept me

Comment

Religiously it means nothing to me. Its just another 'holiday' I can get to together with family and/or friends and enjoy a good meal.

Comment

four days off in a row. no family near, so the diet should stay clean...lol.

Comment

haha yeah, lets not try and solve it, just wandered what easter meant for everyone generally:)

Are you in Europe now Shibbs, no-ones usually up this early sept me
                      I am working an early shift this week starting at 7.

Comment

It means a day off this week :wacko:

Comment

lol@ shibby. fuck sake bro..

it means family dinner to me.

Comment

"lol@ shibby. fuck sake bro.."

What, I just gave him an answer and let it go...

Comment

God gave Pharaoh several chances to set the Jews free, and he refused up until the night of Passover and the final plague.

The Egyptians also killed every newborn male Jew in order to restrict population growth, hence the reason why Moses was hidden and later adopted.

So the killing of the first born sons of Egypt was both a literal and figurative narrative, illustrating God's word.

Comment

Working...
                              X