15yo Down Syndrome Football Player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15yo Down Syndrome Football Player

The coach asked the other team if they would let him score. Very nice!! Im sure this kid was so excited and will never forget this...

YouTube - Matt Ziesel's Touchdown Run

that's awesome - esp the hurdle into the end zone, kids having a blast. Good stuff. Every year I go down to the jimmy fund @ fenway and meet some of the coolest lil kids, got hearts bigger than anyone I've ever met, tough guys/girls - it's a good reminder of what I take for granted.

Comment

My daughter has down's syndrome and I am not sure how I feel about the clip.

Comment

Originally posted by 3v1lj03 View Post
        My daughter has down's syndrome and I am not sure how I feel about the clip.
        What do you mean? You think it was wrong that they didnt treat him like everyone else or something? Im just asking.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankTheTank55 View Post
          What do you mean? You think it was wrong that they didnt treat him like everyone else or something? Im just asking.
          I have been trying to figure out why I am conflicted about the video Frank. I think you may be right that it may be I don't like that they did not treat him like everyone else. But, then again I have to remember he is not just like everyone else. I think that I feel like they were patronizing him. But, I do think that everyone involved probably had the best of intentions. I do my best to treat my daughter just like all my other kids (I have 6) and that works about 95% of the time but, there is that 5% when she is not like all the other kids. But, knowing what I know about people with Down's Syndrome that boy will never be anything but proud of that touchdown and will always remember it fondly. See Frank I am still not clear on how I feel about it. I am not angry about just conflicted. The response I am having is purely emotional not logical so until I can get a hold on it with my mind my heart will stay conflicted. I know that does not clear anything up.

Comment

judging by his jump at the end I think he was pretty happy and thats what appears the most important to me. To me thats what ameteur team sports are about, having fun.

Also isn't it true to say there are different levels of DS, for example I think there have been some good weightlifters and wrestlers with downs and many get along fine in life but others are more restricted as this kid may be

Comment

Originally posted by 3v1lj03 View Post
              I have been trying to figure out why I am conflicted about the video Frank. I think you may be right that it may be I don't like that they did not treat him like everyone else. But, then again I have to remember he is not just like everyone else. I think that I feel like they were patronizing him. But, I do think that everyone involved probably had the best of intentions. I do my best to treat my daughter just like all my other kids (I have 6) and that works about 95% of the time but, there is that 5% when she is not like all the other kids. But, knowing what I know about people with Down's Syndrome that boy will never be anything but proud of that touchdown and will always remember it fondly. See Frank I am still not clear on how I feel about it. I am not angry about just conflicted. The response I am having is purely emotional not logical so until I can get a hold on it with my mind my heart will stay conflicted. I know that does not clear anything up.
              can I just give you props for raising 6 children? I respect that so much man. And I can imagine how the video would make you feel uneasy - if we had more background on the child's situation etc - it would help out. I was just glad to see him hurdling into the endzone - looked like he was having a blast.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr incredible View Post
                judging by his jump at the end I think he was pretty happy and thats what appears the most important to me. To me thats what ameteur team sports are about, having fun.

Also isn't it true to say there are different levels of DS, for example I think there have been some good weightlifters and wrestlers with downs and many get along fine in life but others are more restricted as this kid may be
                You are absolutely right my daughter for example only has about a 6 month delay compared to the average kid her age. I agree he was having a great time and like I said before it will be a great memory for him. I am in no way condemning what was done. I just have mixed feeling about it.

Originally posted by the art of war View Post
                can I just give you props for raising 6 children? I respect that so much man. And I can imagine how the video would make you feel uneasy - if we had more background on the child's situation etc - it would help out. I was just glad to see him hurdling into the endzone - looked like he was having a blast.
                Thanks Art. I have to agree with you I don't know anything about the boy his level of function nothing. All we do know is he was really happy to get that touchdown and I am happy for him too.

Comment

Working...
                X