BMW car update.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW car update.

Audi has the mid-engined R8 (now available with a 525-horsepower V10). Mercedes-Benz now has the AMG SLS (with more power than the R8 – 563 horses). BMW has... a 500-horsepower V10 in a 4,000 pounds M6. Not exactly competitive in the supercar department these days. Well, according to everyone's favorite British Buff Book (EVO), BMW will be releasing a new supercar. Probably something resembling a mashup between the M1 Homage Concept and the Vision EfficientDynamics Hybrid Concept. However, it might not be called M1. Or, it might be.

Here's the thing – BMW is also believed to be working on a buffed out, super version of the 135i (based on the Tii Concept) that semi-logically could be called the M1. Check out the supposed stats on this little puppy: a reworked twin-turbo 3.0-liter motor good for 400 hp and 370 lb-ft of torque, a 150 pound weight reduction, seven-speed dual-clutch tranny, the M3's suspension and torque-vectoring rear end. Where do we sign up?

The issue is that some people within BMW feel the semi-sacred M1 moniker should be reserved only for a car that replaces the 1978 M1, the first car BMW's Motorsports Division ever made (even if Lamborghini played a roll). They do have a point, as among us gearhead types the M1 is a pretty reverential piece of machinery. However, what would you call an M-caliber 1 Series?

Autoblog's advice is this: nothing's sacred. Call the hopped-up 135i the M1. No one cares except for a few old timers within BMW and a few fanatics on the outside. Besides, the aforementioned old timers have sat idly by as the fabled M Division has arguably diluted its once lofty rep by releasing the X5 M and X6 M. It's all water (and money) under the bridge anyhow. And by freeing themselves from this false dilemma (because really, who cares?), BMW is free to name the new supercar the M8.

Failing that, just name the mighty 1 Series the Tii (confusing almost everyone) and reserve M1 for a proper supercar. We don't really mind, as long as both cars go on sale. And no matter the name, it sounds like the range-topping 1 Series should see the light of day in 2011 and the new supercar – which will pair BMW's 4.4-liter twin-turbo V8 with two electric motors – should come online around 2012. Color us excited.

REPORT: More details on BMW's rumored M1(s) — Autoblog

eh. it shouldn't be that big of a deal to label the 1-series m-series car the M1. it's the most logical move. either way, i can't wait to see it! :)

Comment

Originally posted by dbjmofo View Post
      eh. it shouldn't be that big of a deal to label the 1-series m-series car the M1. it's the most logical move. either way, i can't wait to see it! :)
      fuck that. name the new BMW supercar the M1.

name the new 1 series the 135 Sport. :thumup:

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
        fuck that. name the new BMW supercar the M1.

name the new 1 series the 135 Sport. :thumup:
        that's gay.

Comment

BMW's are fine as they are and compete well, the engine blocks are awsome and can easily be tuned to pump out more with Alpina tweeks etc

My mate has an M3 on an 02 plate for goodness sake that after a simple tune kicks out 400bhp, no more power needed,

"bhp sells, but torque and engineering wins races " - Carl Foggarty, one of the best motorcycle racers of all time

Comment

Originally posted by Mr incredible View Post
            BMW's are fine as they are and compete well,
            not really. they are getting heavier and heavier and falling behind in power to Merc and Audi. the m6 weighs 2 tons for fucks sake. they desperately need the new "top shelf" car and a light performer which is exactly what they are doing.

Comment

not really. they are getting heavier and heavier and falling behind in power to Merc and Audi. the m6 weighs 2 tons for fucks sake. they desperately need the new "top shelf" car and a light performer which is exactly what they are doing.
              M6 is one cool looking car, but just ask Clarkson, he'd have an M5 anyday, even over and M3 aswell

Comment

YouTube - Top Gear M5

I wish Tiff Nidel would join Top gear again

YouTube - Fifth Gear BMW M5 (E60)
                Last edited by Mr I; 12-09-09, 04:23 PM.

Comment

I like the M5, for a 4 door sedan they have a great look and perform nicely.

M3's are nice as well, the new one's have a great V8 to back it up.

I think M6's are nice, but they have an odd look to them, that I am not a fan off

Comment

don't talk badly about my m6! i will cut you!

Comment

this is the bottom line.

compare anything BMW makes to the Audi R8 or the up coming SLS AMG.

thread over.

they need a new top shelf car and BMW agrees with me.

Comment

Originally posted by dbjmofo View Post
                        don't talk badly about my m6! i will cut you!
                        sorry but it is far to heavy. has turned into a pig.

Comment

cool vid, gets me pumped

YouTube - Top Gear : BMW M6, Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Porsche 911

Comment

this is the bottom line.

compare anything BMW makes to the Audi R8 or the up coming SLS AMG.

thread over.

they need a new top shelf car and BMW agrees with me.
                            Fair comment lad, BMW will bring it don't worry:agreed::agreed:

Comment

sorry but it is far to heavy. has turned into a pig.
                              i like it's because it looks nice and i have always loved the 6-series. if i don't get an m6 i will settle for an m5. it will have to wait a few years though so who knows what i'll be into then. :)

Comment

Working...
                              X