More effing MIL drama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More effing MIL drama

Man, I am so sick of this woman ruining my plans. To put it lightly, she is the epitome of passive aggresive. EVERYTHING is her way. This woman is a total control freak. IF you try and call her on it, she explains it away or doesn't answer the question at all. I'm sure some of you have seen a couple of my other threads regarding her antics. I need your feedback on what I should do. Here's the gist:

The past 10 years, we have gone to his mother's house in the evening of Christmas Day. But, this year Sonis & I asked his family to come to our house on Christmas Day around 5. We do Christmas w/ my family prior to that. This is Kenley's first Christmas, and 1) I don't want my day ruled by deadlines, (WE have to have the turkey in by a certain time, eat by a certain time, and then eat & run right out the door) 2) I don't want to spend my day running all over, 3) It takes a long time to pack her up, and when you throw in gifts & stuff- forget it. 4) Their house is about 1/2 the size of ours, and it is so freaking crowded- add a baby to it??? 5) I/We can't stand what she cooks. I just want to relax & enjoy the holiday with my baby that I've waited so long for.

His mother BLATANTLY refused. Said she packed up 3 boys & did it, so we can do it too. However, I have several problems with her requests- Sonis got laid off when I was about 6 months pregnant. His mother had a fair bit of remodeling to do at her house. She asked sonis to do it, then renegged and gave it to his brother who was gainfully employed. Secondly, she has taken such little interest in Kenley since she was born- the woman doesn't work, and she's seen her 6 times in the past 8 months, I'm having a very hard time rewarding her for her shitty behavior. Again- it all has to be on her terms. If we don't bring Kenley TO HER, she doesn't call to come to our house.

Here are my options:

1) Kenley & I stay home. Sonis can go there by himself
    2) All 3 of us go over there, but tell her we WON'T be there for dinner
    3) Sonis & Kenley go, and I stay home
    4) We tell his mom to move it to the next day- we can be over whenever.

#3 is a horrible idea and will only make it worse. You are letting this happen to you instead of taking control of your own lives. You are making choices of how to be in her life instead of making her choose how to be in your life. Just as before you continue to try and "win" instead of just living your life and letting her exclude herself if that's what she chooses. No one to blame but herself if you go that route. The route you continue to follow she is able to justify herself and blame it on you.

Comment

Originally posted by Shibby View Post
      #3 is a horrible idea and will only make it worse. You are letting this happen to you instead of taking control of your own lives. You are making choices of how to be in her life instead of making her choose how to be in your life. Just as before you continue to try and "win" instead of just living your life and letting her exclude herself if that's what she chooses. No one to blame but herself if you go that route. The route you continue to follow she is able to justify herself and blame it on you.
      Well, I am TRYING to live my OWN life. As soon as she said she chooses not to come to our house for Christmas, I was fine with it because, as you said- SHE was choosing to exclude herself. She has no one to blame but herself. However, she thinks that HER traditions should be ours as well, and has no tolerance for anyone trying to alter those traditions.

I'm making my choice- it's Sonis who is NOT making his choice. He's caught between a rock & a hard place. He doesn't want to NOT see his family on Christmas, which I can understand. What I don't understand is why he continues to appease her when she continues to hurt him. Trust me, I was totally fine with her decision- it's her loss. But, then sonis just caves- so that doesn't really substantiate "our decision" to live our own lives & start our own traditions. It appears then it's only "my decision".

Yeah, option 3 is the worst one. What about option 1? I think that would be almost as bold as #3, though. Do you not think that would make it even worse than #3

Comment

Everything is going to have consequences if you work on trying to be in two places at once. I can see in every scenario how things could get better for you, I could also see how it goes disastrously wrong.

Comment

So, do you have an alternate solution?

You're right- each scenario does have a consequence. What pisses me off is why I'm even talking about this. It was over for me as soon as she said no. Location apparently is more important to her than actually celebrating the holiday with her family. The thing that irritates me most, is that she's never had a reason to change because each one of her boys always caves & does what she wants

Comment

I say #2.

Go when your schedule permits, and she will have to deal with it.

Comment

option 5. ) You, Sonis, and the baby have Christmas at your house and invite everyone. If she doesn't come tough shit.

the end.

Comment

but i have a feeling sonis wont do that option ^.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
                  option 5. ) You, Sonis, and the baby have Christmas at your house and invite everyone. If she doesn't come tough shit.

the end.
                  :thumup:

So, #2 from original post, and I will now add #5 which I will call the Bouncer option.

I want a WWBD bracelet, I find myself thinking that a lot recently, scary times.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo3000 View Post
                    :thumup:

So, #2 from original post, and I will now add #5 which I will call the Bouncer option.

I want a WWBD bracelet, I find myself thinking that a lot recently, scary times.
                    :thumup: "What Would Bouncer Do?" :rofl:

Comment

Resentment sounds like the definition of your marriage right now. This along with the sex just seems like there is a huge disconnect between you too. You too have comprimised so much around your whole life, that you are lost in your marriage trying to figure out who you both are. The addition of the baby has probably only made it harder to find who you are currently. Just don't get trapped in trying to be who you were. Find who you are now.

Comment

the end.
                        No shit, your life - your baby, your husband, tough shit if she wants to be an old hag about shit - let her have some of her own medicine. Fuck that - let her be the one who sweats this shit, it's your choices and your control, not hers.

Comment

the end.
                          You know, when it comes down to it Bouncer is absolutely correct here.

Comment

Originally posted by NewbieChris View Post
                            You know, when it comes down to it Bouncer is absolutely correct here.
                            :agreed:

Comment

You should enjoy your time with Sonis and your child for xmas not be stressed out, Like Bouncer said invite them to your home and just say for your daughters 1st xmas that you would like the pictures and memoreys from your home and just make her feel that you want to be the one that entertains everyone this year so she can just relax.
                              good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X