Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to get a portable DVD player for my son...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to get a portable DVD player for my son...?

I've been looking around and not sure about these. I'm looking for something around $100. He will primarily use it in his room to watch his movies. Costco has a Philips 9in and an Audiovox 9in. I also looked at best buy and nothing grabbed my attention.

Amazon, no tax and free shipping..

Amazon.com: Portable DVD Players

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
      Amazon, no tax and free shipping..

Amazon.com: Portable DVD Players
      Any recommendations? Anything I should stay away from?

Comment

Originally posted by Shibby View Post
        Any recommendations? Anything I should stay away from?
        i dont really know much about portable players bro. but they all have reviews from the amazon customers. dont buy the one with the bad reviews. ha

Comment

this one seems to be the favorite.
          little more then $100 though.

Amazon.com: Sony DVP-FX930 9-Inch Portable DVD Player, Black: Electronics

Comment

i dont really know much about portable players bro. but they all have reviews from the amazon customers. dont buy the one with the bad reviews. ha
            Where would I be without your electronics expertise :thumup:

Comment

this one seems to be the favorite.
              little more then $100 though.

Amazon.com: Sony DVP-FX930 9-Inch Portable DVD Player, Black: Electronics
              My dad has that one in 7" for business trips and what not - loves it, he had some panasonic before it was awful. Sony all the way bro. Hope he likes it.

Comment

I was looking at this one Amazon.com: VISTEON 092005XV101 10.2-Inch Portable DVD Player: Electronics

Comment

Originally posted by Shibby View Post
                  The reviewer sounds like he is in the market for exactly what you are looking for - I've never heard of that product before, just did a few searches for reviews - only positive feedback, one 76 year old lady loves the clarity!

Comment

I read the few reviews and did some research on the company. I like that I get a 10 in screen and I'm not really sacrificing quality. Probably wouldn't be the best for an adult wanting to watch high def movies, but great for kids and the likes that just want an entertainment player.

Comment

Originally posted by rado
                      Stay away from portables that cost more than $35....Not sure you could afford it:rofl:
                      Why is that?

Comment

i'm against getting kids stuff like that. i think the most i'd buy my kid in terms of portable devices is an mp3 player and/or phone.

Comment

Why?

I know some parents feel this way too...It's a lazy way out rather than entertaining your kids or educating them...But unless you have kids(and you don't)...It's a great thing to have when you're driving for a long period of time...Kids get annoyed in the car seat; especially on long trips...So stfu and get back in the kitchen bitch, where you belong:)
                          well, i do have younger siblings and a caravan full of younger cousins and i've seen that the more the younger kids use phones, mp3 players, nintendo ds and psp, the less aware they are of their environments. i can remember driving with my dad when i was 7 or 8 and being able to look out the window any second of the drive and know how long/far it was until our destination because i was focused outside rather than being in a bubble. my brother (a mere 7 years younger than myself) has no idea how to get to the mall let alone common street names in our neighborhood.

obviously i'm not saying that i'm 100% against portable technologies, i'm just saying that if you can, avoid giving a portable everything to your kid. tying it back to this thread, i'm sure shibby has a dvd player hooked up to a tv at his house. i think watching tv should be a pasttime that should be enjoyed in the home, not in a car ride. kids have been keeping themselves occupied during long car rides for ages before gameboys and iphones. i'm sure they can handle it nowadays too.

another thing is that children won't learn to entertain themselves in situations where they can't have the portable technology. imagine having to wait in line for something or being at someone's house and your kid is bored. if they don't have their usual entertainment of games and such, they will end up nagging you even more. if they don't have it at an early age, they will learn to entertain themselves, which ends up being a good skill to have when you're older and you're at work and you're bored out of your mind and your internet use is monitored.

and plus, "investing" in a portable technology is a waste of money anyway. you spoil your kids to enjoy it only to learn in 1 year a newer version will be coming out and your kid (if he/she is smart and can have tantrums to manipulate you) will get you to buy the newer one.

sorry for the essay-like response. :P

Comment

So basically what your post means is that you're against them? Ok....Great fucking accomplishment....:thumup:
                            not against them per se. i mean i wouldn't buy them a portable device for the sole-purpose of diverting their attention away from bothering me.

Comment

dbj does bring up some good points.

Comment

Working...
                              X