multiculturalism - does it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multiculturalism - does it work?

My view is that it has been an experiment that didn't work.

People are naturally tribal and if you notice even in america people refer to themselves as african american, irish american, chinese american etc not just american, the melting pot hasn't worked and its just a bunch of tribes trying to push their heritage and culture, cmon shibs what do you think

melting pot refers to having several groups of people from different backgrounds coming together in a progressive society. it has nothing to do with how people identify themselves.

and all those labels are subjective to the person. where my brother or sister might consider themselves american, my father considers himself pakistani.

Comment

Originally posted by dbjmofo View Post
      melting pot refers to having several groups of people from different backgrounds coming together in a progressive society. it has nothing to do with how people identify themselves.

and all those labels are subjective to the person. where my brother or sister might consider themselves american, my father considers himself pakistani.
      exactly.

America has been a melting pot almost since day 1, i would say it works.

Comment

I asume your dad was born in pakistan, he could call himself american because the country allowed him a passport but choses to call himself pakistani. I think what your saying is that the more recent generation considers themselves american, so would you call yourself asian american otr american?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr incredible View Post
          I asume your dad was born in pakistan, he could call himself american because the country allowed him a passport but choses to call himself pakistani. I think what your saying is that the more recent generation considers themselves american, so would you call yourself asian american otr american?
          i consider myself american because i identify with the "american" style of living. but if you were to take that and apply it to my dad, he also lives according to the "american" style of life but he will always call himself pakistani.

like i said, labels that have no set rules/regulations will always be subjective to the person who it is being applied to.

but your question also brings the race/ethnicity problem forward. race is not something based in biology and is a social construct based on how a person simply looks. ethnicity is a term used to describe people who identify with one another. either way, both terms are subjective.

Comment

i consider myself american because i identify with the "american" style of living. but if you were to take that and apply it to my dad, he also lives according to the "american" style of life but he will always call himself pakistani.

like i said, labels that have no set rules/regulations will always be subjective to the person who it is being applied to.

but your question also brings the race/ethnicity problem forward. race is not something based in biology and is a social construct based on how a person simply looks. ethnicity is a term used to describe people who identify with one another. either way, both terms are subjective.
            I see where your coming from. I don't see it as being the case though generally.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr incredible View Post
              I see where your coming from. I don't see it as being the case though generally.
              america is a melting pot, london is a melting pot, great cities all over the world is a melting pot. generally speaking they work.

new york is what it is because its a melting pot.

now shut the fuck up. :hibb:

Comment

I think multiculturalism works as long as no one forgets why they left where they were. Implementing the good from various places is the best way to do it. The problem is when people feel they have to "keep it real" and not assimilate too much. This goes for heritage and/or economic status Somehow they feel the only way to stay true to their success is to not become to successful or disassociate themselves from the bad things. If the bad things are not who you are, then who cares about connecting to them. You also get a watering down effect when people try to claim they are one thing when the only thing about that heritage in them, is their great grandparents or further back. If you don't live the culture or speak the language (assuming it's a foreign language) then you are not of your ancestors culture, you are of the current country's culture. I've always admired DBJ when she calls herself American when her family is till close to another culture. She is honest with herself and what she connects too, but she doesn't get rid of everything just because of some label.

Comment

I consider myself an American. I was born here, learned the language, and embraced the culture.

Comment

I agree with Mr. I in that we are not a melting pot. That insinuates that everything comes together to form one cohesive unit. We are far from it. The salad bowl analogy is better.

We all come together, work together, live together, but remain distinct. Most, if not all, retain or cultural identity, if not some rituals. We mix, but always remain individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by dna9488 View Post
                      I consider myself an American.
                      Bouncer considers himself a witty fucker, but that doesn't make it so :disagree:

Comment

Originally posted by Shibby View Post
                        Bouncer considers himself a witty fucker, but that doesn't make it so :disagree:
                        im the wittiest of fuckers.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
                          im the littlest of fuckers.
                          :agreed:

Comment

great responses;

Shibby - I think multiculturalism works as long as no one forgets why they left where they were. = perfect

always growing - yeah exactly, they never really merge into a melting pot. America is a different case in a way but to me you have your indigeounous people and then you have the rest.

Comment

Working...
                            X