'Monday Night Football' intro pulled after Hank Williams Jr. comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Monday Night Football' intro pulled after Hank Williams Jr. comments

(CNN) -- For the first time in years, "Monday Night Football" viewers did not hear Hank Williams Jr.'s intro "Are You Ready for Some Football?" after ESPN pulled the song from the broadcast following remarks Williams made about President Barack Obama.
    In an appearance on Fox News' "Fox and Friends" Monday morning, Williams referred to a June golf game with Obama and House Speaker John Boehner on the same team, against Vice President Joe Biden and Ohio Gov. John Kasich, as "one of the biggest political mistakes ever."

Asked what he didn't like about it, Williams said, "Come on. That'd be like (Adolf) Hitler playing golf with (Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin) Netanyahu. Not hardly."
    In a statement Monday, ESPN said that while Williams "is not an ESPN employee, we recognize that he is closely linked to our company through the open to "Monday Night Football." We are extremely disappointed with his comments and as a result we have decided to pull the open from tonight's telecast."
    In a statement issued through a representative, Williams, son of legendary country singer Hank Williams, acknowledged his analogy was "extreme -- but it was to make a point."

"Some of us have strong opinions and are often misunderstood," the country singer said. "... I was simply trying to explain how stupid it seemed to me -- how ludicrous that pairing was. They're polar opposites, and it made no sense. They don't see eye-to-eye and never will."

Williams, however, said he has "always respected the office of the president."
    Still, he noted, "Every time the media brings up the tea party, it's painted as racist and extremists -- but there's never a backlash, no outrage to those comparisons ... Working-class people are hurting -- and it doesn't seem like anybody cares. When both sides are high-fiving it on the ninth hole when everybody else is without a job -- it makes a whole lot of us angry. Something has to change. The policies have to change."

I dont really get into the old hillbilly song but its a lame ass reason to pull it.

Comment

Any comparison to Hitler is always going to be perceived negatively. Dude was too stupid to figure that out? What the hell was he doing on a political show anyway? Fox ran out of people with normal IQ to talk to?

Comment

I'm sure old Bocephus really gives a shit if they pull the song or not.

Fuck ESPN.

Comment

Originally posted by decadecadeca View Post
          I'm sure old Bocephus really gives a shit if they pull the song or not.

Fuck ESPN.

Comment

Nothing wrong with what he said at all

Comment

It was total bullshit...he didn't say anything wrong. Fuck Obama...that useless cunt.

Comment

Originally posted by hitmansb View Post
                It was total bullshit...he didn't say anything wrong. Fuck Obama...that useless cunt.
                You're in Canada what the fuck do you care? Comparing our president to Hitler isn't the most intelligent thing to do - and he was kicked off MNF because he actually believes the comparison.

Comment

I don't know what's worse - an idiot not knowing that regardless of context, a comparison to one of the worst mass murderers in history will be regarded negatively, or the people who think this was just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr incredible View Post
                    Nothing wrong with what he said at all
                    i agree, that people can "say" anything they want.

but to say that it wasnt wrong is simply incorrect. if you have any education at all on history and understand the horror's that hitler brought to the world you would understand the comparison between the 2 is outrageous. anyone that agrees with him.. to put it bluntly is an imbecile.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
                      I don't know what's worse - an idiot not knowing that regardless of context, a comparison to one of the worst mass murderers in history will be regarded negatively, or the people who think this was just fine.
                      i think the blind sheep that haven't a clue is worse. ignorance is rampant in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Juiced1 View Post
                        You're in Canada what the fuck do you care? Comparing our president to Hitler isn't the most intelligent thing to do - and he was kicked off MNF because he actually believes the comparison.
                        You honestly believe that your fucktard president's lame-ass decisions don't affect our economy? You do realize that the economy is GLOBAL, and that ripples are felt throughout the world, don't you?

Comment

You honestly believe that your fucktard president's lame-ass decisions don't affect our economy? You do realize that the economy is GLOBAL, and that ripples are felt throughout the world, don't you?
                          And I also now know that you don't have a clue about how the economy works. Obama has done NOTHING to give the world this shitty economy. It was in the dumps when Bush left office in 2008 and it's still in the dumps. Yeah, Obama is the reason everyone has to bail out Greece and save the Euro. Rolling my eyes. Give me a fucking break. Canada, lol.

Comment

no offence bro but you are from Canada, you really don't have a voice. :)

Comment

good, tired of hearing that hillbilly anyway. hope they put some lady gaga on monday nights!

Comment

Working...
                              X