Missouri Hunt report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missouri Hunt report

Well we a had a good time, killed a few and learned a whole lot. Puddle ducks had pushed thru by the time we got there,they were about non excistant to be honest so we had to change gears. There were a LOT of Canvasbacks there and other Divers. We had to switch gears and chase them. Took a few days to figure out the right flight pattern for each days wind conditions. It changed every day,,,every day, they would fly / raft up different. After a few days of starting to put the flight pattern with the wind direction and changing set ups... we started knocking them down!

We could have limited daily except one day on Buffies and Ruddys, but we decided to wait for the bigger ducks. Saw a bunch of Golden Eyes, But just couldnt seal the deal on them. Jerald did manage to knock down one. I saw a pair of OLD Squaw for the first time as well,Drifting in a raft of Ruddys about 75 yds out... just too far...or to be honest I would have tried a swat at them!!!

Day one...15 hour ride, got blind on toms boat and started scouting....

We found some promising looking spots and lots of Divers. decided to try Mr. Bobs blind next morning due to lots of rain comming in.. This pretty much sums up day one...LOL[img]

We tried Bobs Blind again on day two with not much luck except a great breakfast...

Ol' Bob puts out a good blind breakfast!!

That afternoon Tom and I set the long lines for a try at the divers..this is when we learned it changed every day...

Not much action I think we rolled a Buffie and watched a bunch of ducks flying another pattern as the wind shifted...

so we switched gears again and so did the weather....

We saw a bunch and had a few missed oppertunities.. but we had Buffies in the Deks all day long..waiting on big ducks..

heres a good group as they buzzed the deks

a bit of vid on how it went...

learning - YouTube
    buffies in deks.AVI - YouTube

Then it happened!!!!!
    we had 3 buzz the deks and I rolled up my first can drake!

had pretty good luck the next am in Bobs blind and then it kinda runs together so I'll just thow up the pics... we alternated between the blind and the boat set and started knocking a few down.

This is Tom with one of the cans he rolled up. I dont have the pic of him with any of the drakes he killed. they must be on his camera.

Toms first BlueBill

sunrise

Tom and Jerald..This was our last morning. limit of cans and the Bluebill

A few more...

Im Sure Tom has a few more photos to add as well.. I dont have all the pics...I want the one with the empty hulls landing in the breakfast plate!!!

Overall we had a great time. Had to figure um out . It took a few days but we started to get it done. I for one learned A LOT!!! Sucks the puddle ducks were gone when we got there it would have been something to hunt them in the AM and divers in the PM....maybe next time.

Comment

Lol @ rado and the "jj sign". Its called the shaka sign and has no roots in jj.

Comment

I thought it was a surfing sign from Hawaii.

Comment

Look at them there fellers. Y'all had a rooten tooten bonanza down there in the swamp!

Comment

i dont see Jasper and Willy in them there pics. yall done left em back in Georg-A?

Comment

shame you couldnt have shot Flapper aka rado. he wont stfu.

Flapper, my chatterbox pet duck - YouTube

Comment

Rado....LOL dude, been doing that for YEARS on patrol in the Army. That was an old Scout RECON motivator..meaning "lets rock"...

I have heard the Surfer deal as well..guess its used by many as its a "cool" hand sign:thumup:

Bouncer...pull your head out of the sand..:noo: we were 15 Hours north of the swamps bro:rofl: hell we were on the IOWA border.

Def had a fun time funny thing is I ate like a damn horse and came back 3 lbs lighter. I guess the body was burning up the calories trying to keep warm. It was cold as shit out on the Mississippi River from daylight to dark just about every day. The warmest it ever was...40 deg But that dont take into account being on the water and wind chill. most days we were around 10 degs or less with the wind chill factored in.

Cant wait till next year gotta start saving pennies again...:thumup:

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
                  shame you couldnt have shot Flapper aka rado. he wont stfu.

Flapper, my chatterbox pet duck - YouTube
                  Good stuff!:rofl:

Comment

Working...
                  X