Kepler 22-b: Earth-like planet confirmed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kepler 22-b: Earth-like planet confirmed

Astronomers have confirmed the existence of an Earth-like planet in the "habitable zone" around a star not unlike our own.

The planet, Kepler 22-b, lies about 600 light-years away and is about 2.4 times the size of Earth, and has a temperature of about 22C.

It is the closest confirmed planet yet to one like ours - an "Earth 2.0".

BBC News - Kepler 22-b: Earth-like planet confirmed

Very significant discovery. Up to this point, they were largely detecting so-called Hot Jupiters, extremely large gas giants orbiting close to the stars. Now they are discovering planets that could potentially be habitable. Very very cool!

Comment

and once we figure out how to travel at the speed of light it will only take us 600 years to get there! :D

fucken amazing how big the universe is. 600 light years is an amazing distance and yet that planet is close to us on the scale of the universe.

Comment

I need to be cryogenically stored so they can bring me back when we finally have the ability to travel to these places.

Comment

Picture or bs. :D

Comment

Good bit of english news there lol, saw this this morning, its actually quite old news but a glimmer of hope none the less, how long did they day it woulda take to get there?

Comment

that is cool. I guess its time to move to Earth 2.0

Comment

Working...
              X