Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here taught someone how to drive a stick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here taught someone how to drive a stick?

How do I go about doing it? Are there any do's or don'ts or best methods to do this without having them fry the clutch lol...?

My dad pretty much described to me how to do it when I was about 14 or 15 and threw the keys to me and after an hour or two of stalling and bucking I figured it out. But there has to be a better way than that.

Nope, just gotta talk them thru it little by little, I have taught a few...patience paitence......

Comment

Thing of the past, sticks will not be in any cars after the next few years. Paddle shifters are superior in every aspect.

Comment

Bouncer stfu and stay the fuck out of the thread.
        Scrum first step is demo. Show your kid how it's done a few times. Make sure he watches your feet for the first take off then the gear change. You don't have to go more then third gear for a while. Then show him how to stop with pressing the clutch first so he won't stall the car.
        So that's basically about it. It's just takes a little time and practice.

Comment

Thing of the past that old people have a hard time letting go. Serves no purpose, takes your hands off the wheel and cannot shift as fast. Out dated tech for outdated people who want to hold onto the past.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
            Thing of the past that old people have a hard time letting go. Serves no purpose, takes your hands off the wheel and cannot shift as fast. Out dated tech for outdated people who want to hold onto the past.
            Yeah whatever homo. :slap:

Comment

have them watch you drive and talk them through the steps. then when they understand what you are doing, when you're doing it and why, put them behind the wheel. the why is important because that's when i think most people realize the steps so they don't mess something up.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
                Thing of the past, sticks will not be in any cars after the next few years. Paddle shifters are superior in every aspect.
                Paddle shifters? That little things that are on my mountain bike? Now they are putting them in cars? :disagree:

LOL @ Bouncer... you sound like my housemate in grad school. One day, he parked his car in the garage and was boxed in by my other housemates VW Rabbit which was parked in the driveway. Dude was helpless because the Rabbit was a stick and he couldn't move it out of the way. Was a sad blubbering mess because he was about to be late for a date. Long story short - your's truly had to play hero and spend 30 precious seconds to back the Rabbit out of the way.

Sad and pathetic story, really, when a grown man could be turned into a helpless heap by an inability to operate machinery.

Mamas, don't let you babies grow up to be stick-challenged.
                Last edited by Scrumhalf; 12-29-11, 01:43 AM.

Comment

I showed you ole lady how to ride mine lol

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf

Paddle shifters? That little things that are on my mountain bike? Now they are putting them in cars? :disagree:

LOL @ Bouncer... you sound like my housemate in grad school. One day, he parked his car in the garage and was boxed in by my other housemates VW Rabbit which was parked in the driveway. Dude was helpless because the Rabbit was a stick and he couldn't move it out of the way. Was a sad blubbering mess because he was about to be late for a date. Long story short - your's truly had to play hero and spend 30 precious seconds to back the Rabbit out of the way.

Sad and pathetic story, really, when a grown man could be turned into a helpless heap by an inability to operate machinery.

Mamas, don't let you babies grow up to be stick-challenged.
                    Paddle shiffters are superior in every aspect. Shift gear up and down faster and keep hands on wheels where they belong.

Comment

I think the way you learned is about the best. You sort of just have to get in and feel the clutch for yourself. You can "talk" about it, but it means nothing until you get a feel for each gear and learn how to work the brake, the clutch and the gas all together. Think about how much nicer/easier they are now compared to what they were, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr incredible View Post
                        I showed you ole lady how to ride mine lol
                        I was wondering whether you or Redback would be the first to chime in with that one. Looks like you won. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
                          I was wondering whether you or Redback would be the first to chime in with that one. Looks like you won. :)
                          sad to see Mr.I go the way of a simpleton. he was never the brightest star in the sky but he was a star none the less. it seems he is in the death throws of collapse now though. to small of a star to create a black hole, he will leave no trace and be all but forgotten. :(

Happy Holidays! :weights:

Comment

Ripper, Beast, Mofo, FB, thanks for the inputs. Too bad I got rid of my old car a couple of years ago, will now need to teach on a new car :eek:

I read elsewhere that it is best to teach someone how to operate the clutch without using the gas pedal. Just clutch only to get rolling. I didn't do it that way starting off, but coming to think of it, it might be easier by having one less thing to worry about.

Also, two different schools of thought on teaching how to get moving on an uphill slope, the stuff of nightmares for any stick newbie. One involves using the handbrake, the other without. I never learned with the handbrake, but I didn't grow up near hills or even mild slopes. I remember visiting my aunt in England when I was about 20 years old, and she would use the handbrake at almost every stop to make sure she didn't roll backwards - maybe that's the way they teach it in the UK?

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
                              Redback's a snail compared:thumup:

Comment

Working...
                              X