LG unveils 84-inch 'ultra definition' 4K TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LG unveils 84-inch 'ultra definition' 4K TV

This is the kind of shit I get excited about. Higher definition is where its at! People need to understand that 1080P is not very high resolution. Especially for the really big sets 60 inch and up. 1080P will be laughed at in 5 years.

LG unveils 84-inch 'ultra definition' 4K TV it's bringing to CES 2012 -- Engadget

LG let us know at CES 2011 that it had 4K LCD televisions in the pipeline, but unfortunately they didn't make it out this year. Expect for that to change in 2012, as the company just announced it's bringing an 84-inch "ultra definition" (3840x2160) TV to Las Vegas to go along with its 55-inch OLED. It has all of LG's Cinema 3D and Smart TV features built-in, including support for that upgraded Magic Motion remote and voice control. There's no official word yet on when we'll see these on shelves or at what price, but it certainly looks production ready compared to other prototypes that have been displayed over the years. While we don't have easy sources of 4K-res video content yet, one of the reasons LG is making the jump first is for 3D. Its Cinema 3D tech uses a Film Pattern Retarder (FPR) screen and passive glasses that result in lowered resolution, but with those extra pixels there's no question about whether viewers are still getting at least an HD picture. So far 4K at home is the domain of Sony and JVC's high-priced projectors, but we'll see if any other companies (we'll check off Toshiba right now) show off upgrades in size and resolution of their HDTVs this year. Check the press release after the break for a few more details.

Originally posted by rado
    She can suck my cock...fuck the tv.
    bro dont purposely try to fuck up every thread, especially if its neither funny nor witty.

Comment

The motion picture and television industry needs to step up and adapt to these changes as well.

Changes in lighting, editing, CGI etc...are all needed to take advantage of the huge jump in picture quality.

Comment

Originally posted by decadecadeca View Post
        The motion picture and television industry needs to step up and adapt to these changes as well.

Changes in lighting, editing, CGI etc...are all needed to take advantage of the huge jump in picture quality.
        also the cable, sat, and networks companies need to step up. fox still broadcasts in 720p and cbs, nbc, and abc are 1080i. in 2011 in the USA we should be getting full 1080P from the networks, to our cable and sat companies directly to our homes.

Comment

I've not seen any 1080p streaming. 1080i maybe. And yes, Blu-ray is 1080p, that's about the best you can do in the consumer market these days.

Comment

Originally posted by decadecadeca View Post

Not to mention the make-up industry... I don't need to see the guy's zits in extreme closeup clarity lol....

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
              Not to mention the make-up industry... I don't need to see the guy's zits in extreme closeup clarity lol....

It really does change everything.

The costumes and props suffer quite a bit too when you can see everything in amazing detail.

Comment

Originally posted by rado
                You're saying when you purchase a movie on HD, it doesn't stream 1080? And in order to get the best quality pic, would be blu ray....
                it streams in 720P or 1080i with heavy compression to make the file smaller and able to be streamed without a glitch.

for example, an HD movie on cable and Sat lets says is a 4 gig file size. that same uncompressed movie on Blu-Ray or torrent would be 10-15 gigs. much bigger file size with much better quality.

Comment

Working...
                X