My Home remodeling thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Home remodeling thread.

Ok guys and girls, I know a lot of you have experience with this sort of thing so all comments or suggestions are welcome.

The house we are going to be moving into is a 1950's ranch style house. It has a brand new roof, siding, and nice brick on the exterior. Just needs some landscaping, new fence in the back yard, and the interior needs updating.

First thing we are going to do is replace the ugly chain link fence in the back with a nice 5 foot wood fence. Not sure on the style of wood fence yet though.

I can handle the landscaping part myself (use to do it with my step dad all through high school) but will have to hire someone to do the fence and definitely the remodeling inside.

As far as the remodeling inside the house, first place we are going to get done is the kitchen. Mr.I, I know you recently went through this process. Me and Sana both really like soap stone as a counter top surface.

Any drawbacks to soapstone?

What about floors, any ideas? Is there anything out there other then tile that looks good? Kind of want something easy to clean but looks clean and sharp. Don't really want the plastic type stuff.

Cant wait to get landscaping and having a backyard with a BBQ etc..

Also plan on ripping up the ugly concrete slab patio in the back yard and replacing it with brick.

I will take before and after pics of the whole process, will be working on it all spring, summer, and fall.

Comment

This in Chi town or Jersey? I ask b/c is this a rental of yours or where you guys will be for sometime? The house we are living in will be a rental for us within a couple of years and I am leary about investing too much money.

Don't want to jack the thread but my wife and I just won a backyard from Turf Wars. We film 3/2. They are paying for everything, we are responsible for taxes and labor. We were at a green acres 3 months back and did a casting call. The executive producer was at my house 3 weeks ago. THey do this all the time, all you have to do is find out when any of those DIY shows are casting at home depot or lowes. They do kitchens as well.

That soapstone looks nice. What does that run cost wise? We just picked out granite to replace our tile for an install within a month (as soon as the pre fabd granite comes in from China).

Also, the houses built in the 50's and 60's are built much better than the houses they slop together these days. I have a rental built in the 60's and that fucker is solid thoughout.

Comment

this is sort of how I envision the back patio. as i said, right now its an ugly concrete slab.

Comment

Originally posted by GrowthMan View Post
          This in Chi town or Jersey? I ask b/c is this a rental of yours or where you guys will be for sometime? The house we are living in will be a rental for us within a couple of years and I am leary about investing too much money.

Don't want to jack the thread but my wife and I just won a backyard from Turf Wars. We film 3/2. They are paying for everything, we are responsible for taxes and labor. We were at a green acres 3 months back and did a casting call. The executive producer was at my house 3 weeks ago. THey do this all the time, all you have to do is find out when any of those DIY shows are casting at home depot or lowes. They do kitchens as well.

That soapstone looks nice. What does that run cost wise? We just picked out granite to replace our tile for an install within a month (as soon as the pre fabd granite comes in from China).

Also, the houses built in the 50's and 60's are built much better than the houses they slop together these days. I have a rental built in the 60's and that fucker is solid thoughout.
          we are moving to Chicago in the spring. pretty sure you saw my thread on it. yes, we will own the house, i would not put a single dime into a rental. not sure what the soapstone cost, we are just starting to look into all of it.

Comment

this is the look of the kitchen that we are going for.

Comment

For the floors, I would go with big tile. I had 20x20 porcelain tile in my kitchen and it looked so much better than the standard 12". Make sure you don't go with a really light grout either. It ends up getting dirty and frustrating since you can't "clean" it.

Comment

Originally posted by FitnessBrat View Post
                For the floors, I would go with big tile. I had 20x20 porcelain tile in my kitchen and it looked so much better than the standard 12". Make sure you don't go with a really light grout either. It ends up getting dirty and frustrating since you can't "clean" it.
                yea that grout part is exactly what puts me off about tile and slate. the tile themselves are easy to clean but the shit in the middle seems to absorb dirt and stain no matter what.

Comment

wonder if this shit works.

Non-Stain Grout
                  Non-stain grouts are a modern improvement on regular sanded grouts. Normal grout only contains sand, cement, lime, pigments and polymers such as latex, while non-stain and stain-resistant grouts have extra additives to strengthen the grout against stains from minerals, spills and wear and tear over the years.

Comment

Tile, wood, stone, etc...

They all have different cleaning issues that make them a pain in the ass.

We have wood in our house and tile in our condo.

I would go all tile before wood. Just stick with a nice neutral color, too light or too dark and you'll be cleaning that shit four times a day.

Comment

Originally posted by decadecadeca View Post
                      Tile, wood, stone, etc...

They all have different cleaning issues that make them a pain in the ass.

We have wood in our house and tile in our condo.

I would go all tile before wood. Just stick with a nice neutral color, too light or too dark and you'll be cleaning that shit four times a day.
                      ok cool. the whole house is wood floors except for the kitchen.

i guess it is down to tile or slate for the kitchen. is either one better then the other in terms of durability etc..?

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
                        ok cool. the whole house is wood floors except for the kitchen.

i guess it is down to tile or slate for the kitchen. is either one better then the other in terms of durability etc..?
                        Slate will not crack as easily as porcelain tile. We put 20x20 tiles in our rental house. Sure as shit the renters cracked a few tiles (It was cheap linoleum before).

I have never seen a slate ground.

Also, have you looked into concrete for the interior? Its the new thing. We have friends that have a house in san diego and they just re-did most of the bathrooms, fireplace, sinks all with concrete. Looks nice.

Comment

Originally posted by GrowthMan

Slate will not crack as easily as porcelain tile. We put 20x20 tiles in our rental house. Sure as shit the renters cracked a few tiles (It was cheap linoleum before).

I have never seen a slate ground.

Also, have you looked into concrete for the interior? Its the new thing. We have friends that have a house in san diego and they just re-did most of the bathrooms, fireplace, sinks all with concrete. Looks nice.
                          My parents have had concrete countertops for 14 years, still look like they did on the first day.

Comment

Pretty sure he would need subfloor heating with concrete.

Freeze his fat fucking toes off up there.

Oh for the counters.

Nevermind.

Comment

nah dont want concrete. nothing wrong with it, just love the look of soapstone.

Comment

Working...
                              X