Punting cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punting cable

Thinking of getting rid of cable... don't watch much these days, and the few shows on Science Channel or Food Network that we are interested in are available online.

Just got a Roku and an Amazon prime account, so most other stuff is available on either Amazon instant video, or if we get a Hulu account.

I never watch tv idk why I even pay a cable bill

Comment

I'm thinking of doing the same exact thing. Let me know what you think of the Roku.

Comment

I was off cable for 8 months until Football started and then I caved. We were using just netflix and spending some on itunes, but still coming out much cheaper then the cable bill.

We are moving in a few months and I would love to eliminate the cable bill again (except internet) but my wife has a different opinion (yet she doesn't watch much tv). Definitely something that we are going to have to discuss.

Comment

In my last place I cancelled the cable about 5 months before I moved out. I don't mind it, but the kids sort of do, lol.

Comment

I like the Roku, mainly for streaming Amazon Prime Instant video. It also has all kinds of other channels and I guess I can get a Hulu plus account if I wanted to watch TV shows, but I haven't done that. Roku also has a bunch of educational videos like Khan Academy and MIT open courseware that my sons like to watch.

Roku also has a bunch of other channels that you can order a la carte, so maybe you will be able to get the specific content you need for just 10 or 20 bucks instead of paying for a million channels of garbage that is cable TV.

Comment

I've noticed there are several different models. Do you know the difference between them? Which one did you buy?

Comment

I got the top of the line model Roku2 XS model because I wanted to make sure I have a wired ethernet connection. If you don't mind having just wireless then the next lower model the Roku2 XD will do. I paid $99 for the XS and I think the XD is $79. Those are the only two models that do 1080p, so I didn't want to get something lower than that. Admittedly, nothing is probably streaming at 1080p today, but that may change down the road.

Comment

You gonna get an antenna for the local channels? Gonna need that for Olympics, world cup etc..

Comment

Already have one.. works great! All the TV towers here are on top of a big hill in direct line of sight from my condo.

Comment

I still couldn't do it. Need speed channel in the US for formula 1. I need to see every practice, quilifying, and the race. Season is almost year round (9 months). So that alone makes me stick with uverse tv

Comment

Working...
                      X