Any home improvement experts here??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any home improvement experts here??

Im putting new laminate floors down in a few weeks. So I ripped the ceramic tiles up from the kitchen and the adhesive is still on the subfloor. I've been scraping it and sanding it trying to get it all off. Biggest pain in the ass EVER!! My question is can the new floors just be laid on top of this shit or do I really need to get it all completely off??

Yep, BIG pain. I think it depends on the flooring if it can be put over that mess or not. Ask Home Depot or Lowe's :D

Comment

This is why we are having our kitchen done by professionals. I would fucken go ape shit and rip the fucken house down.

Comment

It took our contractor 2 days with a rented jack hammer and grinder to completely remove less than 200 sq ft of tile from our hallway prior to installing our hardwood. After watching the hell he went through I was comfortable in my decision to pay someone to do it.

And to answer your question, unless you floor is smooth and level you will have future issues and it will look like shit.

Comment

If its a laminate floor and is a "floating floor" you will be fine. If its not a "floating floor" youll have to remove or re level floor with filler.

Comment

Originally posted by lipripper View Post
            If its a laminate floor and is a "floating floor" you will be fine. If its not a "floating floor" youll have to remove or re level floor with filler.
            Yeah, its a floating floor. Its pretty level I've been working on it the last couple days. I'll rented this "surface prepper" machine from home depot and got a lot of it up but that thing was a beast!...lol I almost smashed up the dishwasher and fridge! I'll make sure there isnt any major chunks!

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
              This is why we are having our kitchen done by professionals. I would fucken go ape shit and rip the fucken house down.
              I am paying to have the floors installed but I thought ripping up the tile and carpet wouldnt be that big of a deal and save a little money. This is the first house I've owned that wasnt a new construction home. So, I've never done any remodeling before. I have remodeled the entire main floor so far and it was actually pretty fun. But doing the shit for the first time I made some rookie mistakes! Like, I tiled the bathroom floor and walls and when I was grouting the tile I figured it was cool to do all the grout and then go back and clean it off. Well, the shit dried and was cement all over the walls. I was in there scraping for like a month!! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by FrankTheTank55 View Post
                I figured it was cool to do all the grout and then go back and clean it off. Well, the shit dried and was cement all over the walls. I was in there scraping for like a month!! LOL
                :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Comment

Originally posted by FrankTheTank55 View Post
                  Yeah, its a floating floor. Its pretty level I've been working on it the last couple days. I'll rented this "surface prepper" machine from home depot and got a lot of it up but that thing was a beast!...lol I almost smashed up the dishwasher and fridge! I'll make sure there isnt any major chunks!
                  Just make sure they put a vapor barrier down prior to laying out the laminate...basicly they will put a plastic sheet down. Then make several runs and get measurements for cuts. Your floor will be based off that. They will then run the floor out and they will place in the Molding or base boards around all the walls. That will hold the floor down if ya will, and wala it's done.

Comment

Originally posted by lipripper View Post
                    Just make sure they put a vapor barrier down prior to laying out the laminate...basicly they will put a plastic sheet down. Then make several runs and get measurements for cuts. Your floor will be based off that. They will then run the floor out and they will place in the Molding or base boards around all the walls. That will hold the floor down if ya will, and wala it's done.
                    Ok, let me ask you this. The people that laid this tile I just ripped up laid it on 1/4 backerboard. That board is screwed on the subfloor right? So, should I just unscrew that board and get down to the wood subfloor? Then I could just carry the backer board out and all the adhesive will go with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X