The Android App Thread.. post your favorites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Android App Thread.. post your favorites

This thread is for the Androiders among us, what good apps we have and have found useful, etc.

I'll start. I've been on a kick to increase my battery life and I found JuiceDefender to be very handy.

It is a free app that runs in the backgorund and actively manages apps, radio, etc. to make sure the phone is not doing anything not absolutely necessary to consume power. It has immediately given me a noticeable retention of battery percentage.

If anyone has any apps that they have found very useful, please post.

I recently rooted and flashed a new rom. My battery life is much improved, as well as overall performance. I always assumed rooting and flashing roms was overkill, but I have noticed major changes with my phone.

juicedefender is ok, I hated using it with pandora in the car, it always wants to put the mobile data to sleep after each song.

Root and flash a nice rom with an aroma installer. Makes things easy as pie.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo3000 View Post
      Root and flash a nice rom with an aroma installer. Makes things easy as pie.
      Turbo, do you have a link that talks about this? I have done a lot of iphone jailbreaking, but I have not done something similar with android.

Comment

Scrum, start at XDS developers forum. Find your at&t htc one x forum group. The android development sub forum will include everything you need, while the discussion sub forum will answer most questions.

Most phones that have been out a few months have a unified toolkit that will download your phone's drivers, backup, and root your device.

I then picked a rom, there will be a lot. I am running a pure jelly bean mod with some extras thrown in. My phone now looks like a nexus interface. I didn't use any samsung/touch wiz crap, so I picked a rom without all of that. roms also exist that will mimic your stock experience, but will delete bloatware and improve batt and performance.

Flashing a rom is easy, just boot into recovery mode, usually by holding power and volume up during boot. I downloaded the rom I choose and placed it on my ext card, then in recovery mode I cleared the phone and flashed the rom from my card.

I did the jailbreak thing as well, and I found rooting and flashing almost as easy, but much more beneficial. My battery is a lot better as well as overall performance. I also got the multi window hack, so I can have 2 windows open on my screen. YouTube hack lets me play videos even if I turn the screen off. I use it while streaming in the car.

Sorry for the ramble and any mistakes.

Hopefully that will get you started.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130616_082008.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	945736

My home screen, as you can see, nothing looks like a stock galaxy.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
            This thread is for the Androiders among us, what good apps we have and have found useful, etc.

I'll start. I've been on a kick to increase my battery life and I found JuiceDefender to be very handy.

It is a free app that runs in the backgorund and actively manages apps, radio, etc. to make sure the phone is not doing anything not absolutely necessary to consume power. It has immediately given me a noticeable retention of battery percentage.

If anyone has any apps that they have found very useful, please post.
            I don't use many 3rd party apps. Most of the stuff I use came on the phone.

I use sound hound all the time to identify a song I am listening to in the car.

Google now is just awesome. Yesterday in the city all I had to do was open the card and it automatically told me how many minutes to home in traffic and was ready with the nav.

BBC News app is my go to.

Flixster app for movies.

Zedge for wallpapers.

ForumRunner to browse the site.

As far as the battery issue goes, I just go into the battery option and look at what is using the battery, if its something I don't use I delete it. I get pretty good bat life even listening to music on youtube with the screen on the whole time. I keep my screen as dim as possible.

Comment

Good stuff, B! Turbo, I didn't realize JuiceDefender messes with Pandora. I haven't used Pandora since I loaded it. I'll have to see how it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
                Good stuff, B! Turbo, I didn't realize JuiceDefender messes with Pandora. I haven't used Pandora since I loaded it. I'll have to see how it works out.
                This used JD around 3 years ago, I'm sure they have that part fixed. Plus I believe you can create a list of apps for JD to "ignore".

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo3000 View Post
                  Scrum, start at XDS developers forum. Find your at&t htc one x forum group. The android development sub forum will include everything you need, while the discussion sub forum will answer most questions.

Most phones that have been out a few months have a unified toolkit that will download your phone's drivers, backup, and root your device.

I then picked a rom, there will be a lot. I am running a pure jelly bean mod with some extras thrown in. My phone now looks like a nexus interface. I didn't use any samsung/touch wiz crap, so I picked a rom without all of that. roms also exist that will mimic your stock experience, but will delete bloatware and improve batt and performance.

Flashing a rom is easy, just boot into recovery mode, usually by holding power and volume up during boot. I downloaded the rom I choose and placed it on my ext card, then in recovery mode I cleared the phone and flashed the rom from my card.

I did the jailbreak thing as well, and I found rooting and flashing almost as easy, but much more beneficial. My battery is a lot better as well as overall performance. I also got the multi window hack, so I can have 2 windows open on my screen. YouTube hack lets me play videos even if I turn the screen off. I use it while streaming in the car.

Sorry for the ramble and any mistakes.

Hopefully that will get you started.
                  Fucking Turbo knows another language...:thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by lipripper View Post
                    Fucking Turbo knows another language...:thumb:

Seriously, that makes my head hurt :x

I just want someone to give me my iPhone back! :panic:

Comment

Originally posted by FitnessBrat View Post

Seriously, that makes my head hurt :x

I just want someone to give me my iPhone back! :panic:
                      Lol.

Sell the SG3 on ebay and pick up a 4s.

Or sell the phone locally.

I love changing phones, it is a sickness. I enjoy the SG3, but just the other day I was thinking of selling my phone and laptop, and buying new iPhone and mac book air.

Comment

I installed SwiftKey on my GS4 which is the key real app I have done differently from the past. Best keyboard you will ever use (on an android).

Comment

Originally posted by mofo View Post
                          I installed SwiftKey on my GS4 which is the key real app I have done differently from the past. Best keyboard you will ever use (on an android).

That's the one app I tell everyone about. :thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by mofo View Post
                            Best keyboard you will ever use (on an android).

...unless you use talk to text. Then it's relatively worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by blm View Post

...unless you use talk to text. Then it's relatively worthless.
                              It has that feature, but it may suck. I just type stuff out.

Comment

Working...
                              X