Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember when we had 1.44M floppy disks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember when we had 1.44M floppy disks?

And a 1GB hard drive was a revolutionary development? Damn... we have come a long way!

Just went to upload my photos to the computer and discovered that I have only 2.2 GB of space on my hard drive and between my son and me, we have about 80GB of photos on our India trip.

Just placed an order on Amazon for a 2 TB hard drive, should be here in a couple of days with Prime shipping.

And T1(1.5mbps) was the pinnacle of speed that only business customers had for a few grand a month. Shit that was only about 10 years ago. Now you can get 500mbps internet via fiber go to your home for less than $400 a month.

Comment

How much was the 2tb hd?

Comment

I paid $105 on Amazon for the WD Red drive. I could have gotten a WD Green for about $75 or so on Newegg, but the ratings were not as good.

Amazon.com: WD Red 2 TB NAS Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD20EFRX: Computers & Accessories

These are internal drives, of course.

Comment

Why not get an external one? Cheaper and just as fast from what I understand.

Comment

I've always had my data stored locally on the machine. Not sure an external standard USB drive (I don't have USB-3 on my computer) is as fast as an internal drive.

I already have 2 external drives. Both are for data backup. One is connected permanently as a network drive through my router and the other is a local drive connected to the computer. I back up my files once a week to both drives, so that all my files exist on 3 different drives all the time. I'm also thinking of setting up a RAID server to ensure data protection, which is another reason I bought the WD red drive, which is designed for being put into RAID arrays.

Comment

Working...
            X