Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any of you got an aftermarket Navigation/Handsfree system installed in your vehicle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any of you got an aftermarket Navigation/Handsfree system installed in your vehicle?

My wife drives a 2002 Mazda MPV and it runs flawlessly. I am thinking of junking the audio system in it and having an aftermarket navigation/audio/Bluetooth handsfree phone integrated system with a touchscreen display installed in it. She is on the phone a lot and drives around, so I want her to have a nice large GPS display instead of her iPhone and also want her to be able to speak safely on her phone through the audio system without getting her hands off the wheel.

I haven't really done any research - thinking of dropping by one of the specialty stores that does this kind of stuff to get more informaton. Have any of you done this in your vehicles, and are there any particular makes that are better than others?

Is your stereo space double din? If it is I'd recommend one of these. I used to have this (bit of an older model) in my old Audi A6 and I loved it. It's very easy to use and you can get the parrot blutooth attachment for it. It'll do wireless music streaming, voice phone dial, play DVD, you can get the XM receiver and control it through and some other good stuff with it.

Amazon.com: Kenwood Excelon DNX6960 6.1" In-Dash Double-DIN Navigation DVD Receiver: Explore similar items

And of course any other big brands like pioneer, sony or JVC is probably as good. Unless they improved in last few years I wouldn't get Jensen. I had it for a day in my car, it sucked and went and replaced it with the kenwood.

Comment

Beast, I don't know the first thing about disassembling the dash panels and installing this. I'll probably end up destroying the car if I tried. Do I purchase something online and get someone locally to install it, or do I just purchase locally and have it installed?

I was looking at the Pioneer NEX line - I guess it is new for 2014.

NEX | Pioneer Electronics USA

Comment

Oh no don't install it yourself. :eek: :grin:
        And DO NOT buy it online.
        From my past experiences, one thing I learned is...never buy a stereo online and have your local shop install it. Ask them to price match, sometimes they do but even if they are little higher pay that extra ten twenty bucks and buy it from them and have it installed.

Local shops hate it when you walk in with a stereo you bought on line and ask them to install. They always charge you at least double the installation fee if you didn't buy it from them. Plus they get you on the harness and crap you'll be needing for the proper install. If you do buy from them they usually include the installation and charge you less for the harness that costs them like two bucks or something.

I made that mistake with a car stereo and a motorcycle tire and those are the two things I will never buy online again.

Comment

Cool, thanks!

Comment

So I broached the idea of upgrading the MPV with a nav/BT system to my wife and she goes, "Really? How about upgrading the MPV instead?" Lol...

Looks like after the test drive in the Focus on Monday, she's got the new car bug too!

Comment

New car for her ftw. :thumup:

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
                So I broached the idea of upgrading the MPV with a nav/BT system to my wife and she goes, "Really? How about upgrading the MPV instead?" Lol...

Looks like after the test drive in the Focus on Monday, she's got the new car bug too!
                Good to see her calling out her cheapskate husband. 2002 car. Lol. Poor woman.

Comment

Haha.... You got me there... Definitely a cheapskate when it comes to cars lol..
                  It's the safety features that made me start looking. My 91 Civic doesn't have airbags or anything. Even the 2002 MPV does not have side airbags or rear curtain airbags. Amazing how far auto safety technology has come in just 10 years.

Comment

Working...
                  X