Experts predicting sub-$2/gallon gas for parts of US soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experts predicting sub-$2/gallon gas for parts of US soon

So much cheaper to fill up my car now. Watch how many dildos go out and buy gas hungry SUV's during this period. :laugh:

Experts predicting sub-$2/gallon gas for parts of US soon - Autoblog

These gas prices make me so happy! I hope they don't change anytime soon.

Comment

Filled my tank with premium (92 octane) at a 76 station for $2.99 today. First time in recent memory that I have seen premium at less than 3 bucks here at a major brand station.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
        Filled my tank with premium (92 octane) at a 76 station for $2.99 today. First time in recent memory that I have seen premium at less than 3 bucks here at a major brand station.

Woohoo, I paid $3.11 and was excited for that!

Comment

Filled up at Costco yesterday. Standard was $2.70!

Of course premium was $3.40. Blah

Comment

Down to $2.63...

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
              Filled up at Costco yesterday. Standard was $2.70!

Of course premium was $3.40. Blah

You don't HAVE to use premium, do you?

Comment

Originally posted by FitnessBrat View Post

In short, no.

In the old days, engines could not adjust to fuels with varying octane ratings. Use the wrong fuel and the engine would knock or "ping" audibly because the gas exploded prematurely. This knocking damaged internal engine components over time.

Today, engine control systems can compensate for low octane by monitoring knock activity and adjusting ignition advance to avoid knocking. This sophisticated electronic capability effectively tunes the engine on the fly and gives drivers more flexibility in the grade of fuels that they can safely use.

If you want to get into the effect on performance, that's a different discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by blm View Post
                  In short, no.

In the old days, engines could not adjust to fuels with varying octane ratings. Use the wrong fuel and the engine would knock or "ping" audibly because the gas exploded prematurely. This knocking damaged internal engine components over time.

Today, engine control systems can compensate for low octane by monitoring knock activity and adjusting ignition advance to avoid knocking. This sophisticated electronic capability effectively tunes the engine on the fly and gives drivers more flexibility in the grade of fuels that they can safely use.

If you want to get into the effect on performance, that's a different discussion.

I do realize some cars need premium (my own, unfortunately, lol), but I really just meant his specifically. And if it was only based on life of the car, etc, his is a lease - which is also why I questioned why he bothered, haha.

Comment

It's a different story for a car whose engine requires premium fuel. The car will still run on regular fuel in a pinch, but you shouldn't make a habit out of it. The fuel's lower octane can result in elevated exhaust-gas temperatures and possible knocking, both of which can adversely affect the engine's health in the long run. Running regular-grade fuel in a car that requires premium might sound like a good way to shave a car's running costs, but the short-term savings won't come close to offsetting the cost of repairs to a damaged engine.

I'd be quite certain any Audi is "required".

Comment

Originally posted by FitnessBrat View Post
                      It wont break the car no. BUT. Performance is lost and more importantly fuel economy goes down. So if you average 25mpg on premium it would be something like 22mpg on regular.

By filling up a premium recommended car with regular gas your losing power and efficiency. I can't mentally deal with that. It's pretty much like living on junk food. It's doable but certainly not optimal.

Comment

Working...
                      X