Long cold night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long cold night

But it was worth it.. Got into the spot I wanted at about 2200 hrs. Got my decoys out and put my boat into a blocking position to stop anyone else form gettin in. I used my mud motor to carve a slight trail thru the flooded reeds about 1/3 of a mile in from the canal to a small 75 yd round hole in the swamp. Got the old army sleeping system out,,crawled in and watch the falling stars untill I was awaken by the sounds of boats comming in. Stayed up from about 3 am untill daylight. Noone even attempted to get back in here. so life was good. Crawled out of the bag put the chest waders back on and slid into the water. a cool 29 degs. Took out my burlap and camoflaged up the boat good then I worked my way back 200 yds into my decoys and waited..

I was after a Mottled Duck, I had been watching several drop into a few small pockets of water in the past weeks. very elusive little critters. hunting these is more like deer hunting a big buck..ya cant hunt where all the other ducks are..just a small pocket..they either come in..and ya get a shot..or the morning is wasted.. about 08:00 hrs it finally happened had a pair circled high.. hit the call with a single quack..they turned and started dropping...circled again...another quack...turned and they cupped and committed droping from skyhigh..amazing site to see.. flipped off the safety as I tried to be real small standing in the head high reeds in the waist deep water...as they started to put the brakes on at about 30 feet off the water I popped up and threw the mossey up to my shoulder, I picked up on the trail bird, and squeezed off BOOM...shit..miss...pumped the 12 guage as they started to climb staying on the same bird BOOM and he folded at the shot and came crashing down about 30 yds away from me into the thick reeds.

I went over and searched for about 1.5 hours and finally found him burried up in the grass matt floating on the water. He will be going to the taxidermist here very shortly.. I was pretty stoked to say the least. Drake Mottled Duck..

Rip, you crack me up. You remind me of the Marines joke..

Join the sportsmen, travel to exotic new lands, meet new and interesting species... and KILL them! :rofl:

Comment

How do you eat them rip? Just 1 way or do you do all kinds of stuff with them?

I'd do crazy shit with them like grind up the duck meat into duck burger and through it on the grill. Seriously. You should try doing different shit with the meat, bet you'd enjoy it in new/different way.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
        Rip, you crack me up. You remind me of the Marines joke..

Join the sportsmen, travel to exotic new lands, meet new and interesting species... and KILL them! :rofl:
        :rofl: Nothing like wakeing up on the boat with the sleeping bag covered in frost my man!! The shit ya do for a duck..:thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
          How do you eat them rip? Just 1 way or do you do all kinds of stuff with them?

I'd do crazy shit with them like grind up the duck meat into duck burger and through it on the grill. Seriously. You should try doing different shit with the meat, bet you'd enjoy it in new/different way.
          Do lots of stuff bro...
          duck poppers....creamcheese/ jalapeno wrapped in bacon and grilled...sometimes pineapple instead of cream cheese

they make GREAT duck chili in the crock pot

also mix it 50/50 with wild hog and make bratwurst out of it.

plain grilled n or fried isnt bad either.... sausage..but same old thing there.

Comment

I have to admit. I'm not fond of the south as we all know. But you guys do food right! There is something about taking basic food and adding in that southern smoke/attitude that completely bumps it up 10 notches. It's not sophisticated snob food (which I also like) but its god damn good.

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
              I have to admit. I'm not fond of the south as we all know. But you guys do food right! There is something about taking basic food and adding in that southern smoke/attitude that completely bumps it up 10 notches. It's not sophisticated snob food (which I also like) but its god damn good.
              Yes it is my man...:thumb:

Comment

Lip, how many ducks did you end up with?

Comment

Originally posted by Chadd77 View Post
                  Lip, how many ducks did you end up with?
                  Just him Chadd..the limit is one a day..like I said hunting them is like deer hunting a specific big buck..its all or nothing my man..

If the weather would get right..id be out hunting on the salt haveing days like this instead...LOLO

many days like this Last year... Ducks just arent here good..so Im hunting what is..Enjoying the challange of it to be honest.

Comment

Chad...I drove 110 miles and spent the night in the boat to kill that damn duck.. Id rather drive 30 and hunt the salt water for a better variety and more liberal limit...but ducks are slim right now here..so Hell with it..Im still gonna go..just change tactics and make the best of it.

Comment

lol - you're dedicated my man! I do enjoy being out in the woods hunting but I really enjoy packing my freezer full of meat! Never bird hunted before but does sound fun.

Comment

Originally posted by lipripper View Post
                        Just him Chadd..the limit is one a day..like I said hunting them is like deer hunting a specific big buck..its all or nothing my man..

If the weather would get right..id be out hunting on the salt haveing days like this instead...LOLO

many days like this Last year... Ducks just arent here good..so Im hunting what is..Enjoying the challange of it to be honest.

Genocide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

;)

Comment

:rofl::rofl: bouncer...

Chadd..Turkey is by far the hardest there is to hunt(my favorite). Deer n hogs are pretty easy...its just looking for the trophy(in your eyes..or for that area) if ya will that takes time.

Now ducks..thats plain FUN!!! but the most work and the most expensive with the least amount of return.. The Key to success is being where the ducks want to be..if you can figure that out thru scouting..its a lot of fun. You just have to shoot straight when they show up.. If your 50 yds off the X... you have no shooting..

Comment

Working...
                          X