Phobias may be memories passed down in genes from ancestors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phobias may be memories passed down in genes from ancestors

Memories may be passed down through generations in DNA in a process that may be the underlying cause of phobias.

Full Story: Phobias may be memories passed down in genes from ancestors - Telegraph

Pretty wild.

Comment

I guess I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this. I may have to read the original paper to understand what they are saying.

What I know about evolution is that genes are passed down by natural selection. The phobia is a result of the phenotype, which is an outward expression of the genotype or genes interacting with the environment. Let's take a phobia, like fear of snakes, for example. Long ago, some of our ancestors expressed fear of snakes as a phobia in their phenotype as a result of a set of genes producing the right chemicals in their brains. These particular individuals had a higher chance of survial, and these particular genes got passed down to subsequent generations, and the individuals that lacked these particular genes died out. In other words, the genes are not directly modified by our thoughts or memories, but rather, the genes that produce thoughts or memories that are favorable for survival of the organism are selected for. This paper, or at least the article describing it, is somewhat contrary to this understanding of evolution, so I am intrigued and want to read the paper to try to figure out what I am missing.

Comment

Working...
      X