Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New amazing metal is so hydrophobic it makes water bounce like magic

New amazing metal is so hydrophobic it makes water bounce like magic

That's pretty incredible! I wonder the cost of the procedure. I can say their hopes of being used on airplanes won't work though. The majority of aircraft surfaces are painted for multiple reasons, mainly corrosion and areas where they aren't, like leading edges take a battering from debris needing frequent polishing and occasional repairs. Even if the etching prevented corrosion, the nano etched areas around every single rivet would be smashed during installation making a huge portion of the planes skin unprotected. Other areas would get quickly damaged due to the soft aluminum. Now if they could do that to a glass surface without affecting visibility it could be useful for windscreens.

Comment

how about a boat made out of this shit? would it levitate above the water slightly like a magnet?

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
        how about a boat made out of this shit? would it levitate above the water slightly like a magnet?
        Now that I'd like to see! Science :thumb:

Comment

at the very least it would allow ships to be more fuel efficient no? "water dynamics" instead of aero dynamics. less resistance.

Comment

Absolutely. They may have a hard time not rolling over. It would be interesting to see a weighted sphere if the coefficient of friction is so low if it accelerates into a spin.

Comment

Working...
            X