50th anniversary of Winston Churchill death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50th anniversary of Winston Churchill death

Basically the greatest Briton ever and without him the world would look very different today :thankyou:

The 10 greatest controversies of Winston Churchill's career - BBC News

Kinda funny you consider a guy that was half american to be the greatest briton ever. :cheese:

If you knew anything about his childhood you'd know he is very much his American mothers child. She raised him, taught him to believe in himself and he shares her american 'can do' attitude. The only thing British about Winston is his inbred looks.

Agreed though. A great man indeed.

Comment

He also fought in the boxer war, Bro American was basically England but without the same tax system back then. We made america

Comment

Originally posted by Mr I View Post
        He also fought in the boxer war, Bro American was basically England but without the same tax system back then. We made america
        it's understandable why so many upper class British men were interested in American women. The British are many things but as a whole you are an ugly lot. A very 'homely' looking people as a whole. Comes from centuries and centuries of leisure. The "upper class effect" I call it.

Comment

Great man no doubt, but greater than Shakespeare? Newton?

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
            Great man no doubt, but greater than Shakespeare? Newton?
            Absolutely greater than Shakespeare. Are you kidding me? Do you understand the impact to the world if Winston had not come along when he did? Before Winston Britain had the attitude of Appeasement. That coward Chamberlain was the typical british pussy. They were doing everything they could to bend over for Hitler. Winston changed everything. He was what the world needed at the right time. He had the fucken balls to make the hard choices. Like attacking and killing the French fleet with french soldures on board to prevent them falling into nazi hands. No other Brit would have made that call.

LOL @ questioning his importance next to a fucken poet. I'm disappointed in you.

Now.. Newton, Darwin, Faraday, Hooke. The impact those men had and the impact of British science cannot be understated. Agreed. But Shakespeare? LMFAO GTFO you hippy fuck.

Comment

I guess our priorities are different. I never dissed Churchill. You on the other hand are putting down the greatest playwright ever, a person who had the greatest influence on the English language. Even many British polls have Shakespeare listed as the greatest Briton ever, so it's not just the "hippy fuck" in me talking.

Comment

Go into more detail about what you mean by priorities. You say it as if I choose the importance of war over the importance of art & literature. This is not the case.

You talk about Shakespeare's influence on the English language.. What influence do you think a victorious Nazi regime would have had?

I'm not sure many people realize just how close the Axis Powers came to winning. Had Hitler not made the fatal error of invading Russia and instead concentrated his war effort to the west, the results would have been very different.

Comment

Again, I am not saying Churchill doesn't belong close to the top of the list. My personal list would be Shakespeare, Newton, Churchill, Darwin. That's all. It's hard to pick between them - nobody is saying #4 is worse than #1 in some quantifiable way - this is not a 100m race with a quantitative measurement stick. It comes down to personal choice at that point, I think. They were all great, no doubt. Now, I have also seen Diana listed up there among these luminaries, so that does not show off the British masses in a good light lol...

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
                    Again, I am not saying Churchill doesn't belong close to the top of the list. My personal list would be Shakespeare, Newton, Churchill, Darwin. That's all. It's hard to pick between them - nobody is saying #4 is worse than #1 in some quantifiable way - this is not a 100m race with a quantitative measurement stick. It comes down to personal choice at that point, I think. They were all great, no doubt. Now, I have also seen Diana listed up there among these luminaries, so that does not show off the British masses in a good light lol...
                    I can agree with that. Same goes for order of importance of Scientists. Newton generally comes first because he is father of modern science but that doesn't minimize the impact of other British scientist. Henry Cavendish, Humphry Davy, Dirac, and Faraday were of equal importance in terms of the modern world and fundamental changes in how we view things.

Comment

P.S. I can't say enough about scientist and presenter Brian Cox. His BBC series on the history of science and scientists is amazingly well done. Iv'e watched all his series and documentaries. 'The Genius of Britain' is really a great series. Iv'e learned more from him then any schooling I've ever had. A close second would be Jim al-khalili, also a BBC presenter. His series on the atom and electricity are my favorites. I have all the torrents and watch them about once a year. Haven't enjoyed a science series as much since the original Cosmos with Carl Sagan. All can be torrented, you are missing out if you haven't seen them.

Comment

Yep, Brian Cox and Jim Al Khalili are both great! I have all their shows as well.

Comment

He changed the shape of the world politically no doubt. Very tough but also very shrewd man. Made some very tough decisions.

Comment

Working...
                          X