Should there be a legal right to die?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should there be a legal right to die?

There are currently only four states where physician assisted suicide is legal. I'm doing a research paper on that exact question, and I'm just curious about other peoples thoughts.

I think the "final" decision should be completely up to the individual.

Comment

My wife just did a paper too on death with dignity. I'm definitely for it.

Comment

Originally posted by TKD View Post
        My wife just did a paper too on death with dignity. I'm definitely for it.

Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End by Atul Gawande

You may have seen me mention this in the book thread, but I definitely recommend it for anyone taking care of elderly or terminally ill patients/family.

Comment

Shesh talk about ultimate government control huh? You don't even have the right to die. Sounds a bit crazy putting it in perspective of having control over your own life. The government says, I control your life and you must be a part of society regardless of whether you are a benefit or a complete leech. Absolutely people should be allowed to suicide or give prior written permission to have it done by a doctor via a living will or something previously signed and notorized to avoid coercion.

Comment

Absolutely. I voted for this in Oregon. As long as the person is of sound mind and can make the decision, and the reason is justified, i.e. it is due to an chronic/terminal condition that so adversely affects the quality of life that it would be not worth it to continue living. These safeguards exist in the Oregon assisted suicide law to the best of my knowledge and I am sure exists in the other "enlightened" states that allow for this.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckz28 View Post
              Shesh talk about ultimate government control huh? You don't even have the right to die. Sounds a bit crazy putting it in perspective of having control over your own life. The government says, I control your life and you must be a part of society regardless of whether you are a benefit or a complete leech. Absolutely people should be allowed to suicide or give prior written permission to have it done by a doctor via a living will or something previously signed and notorized to avoid coercion.

It really isn't just the government trying to control you, in my opinion. Interestingly enough, there was a poll in the New England Journal of Medicine and 67% of the physicians were opposed.

Comment

It's a weighty responsibility when you are talking physician assisted suicide. I could see physicians who have dedicated their lives in many cases to helping save people being opposed to legislation that would legalize and possibly even mandate their help in something like that.

With that said, I think if you want to off yourself that's up to you, and no government or person should have the ability to prevent that provided it harms no one else.

Comment

Originally posted by funniirishman View Post
                  It's a weighty responsibility when you are talking physician assisted suicide. I could see physicians who have dedicated their lives in many cases to helping save people being opposed to legislation that would legalize and possibly even mandate their help in something like that.

With that said, I think if you want to off yourself that's up to you, and no government or person should have the ability to prevent that provided it harms no one else.

That's the issue - a lot of physicians feel it's very conflicting to their Hippocratic Oath and their duty to heal. Others feel the opposite because of their duty to prevent suffering. I think it is definitely key to understand that a right to die would be a right, not an entitlement. One persons right does not entail the right to compel another to provide the service. So physicians could/should never be obligated to provide such services if they are opposed.

Comment

Originally posted by FitnessBrat View Post
                    That's the issue - a lot of physicians feel it's very conflicting to their Hippocratic Oath and their duty to heal. Others feel the opposite because of their duty to prevent suffering. I think it is definitely key to understand that a right to die would be a right, not an entitlement. One persons right does not entail the right to compel another to provide the service. So physicians could/should never be obligated to provide such services if they are opposed.
                    I agree with this. Im not trying to inject another ball of wax here but the same argument can be made for abortion as well. Only difference is an unborn child has no say in the decision of their own life it is being made by someone else which is why I find it unethical. I'll avoid further clarification to avoid argument, just wanted to make the point.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckz28 View Post
                      I agree with this. Im not trying to inject another ball of wax here but the same argument can be made for abortion as well. Only difference is an unborn child has no say in the decision of their own life it is being made by someone else which is why I find it unethical. I'll avoid further clarification to avoid argument, just wanted to make the point.

Does this mean you think that life begins at conception? Also, just curious if you believe that 100% of the time - no regard to the mother (although you absolutely can not carry a child to term without stress to another human in some form)?

Comment

It's a very delicate subject and by allowing assisted suicide you do open the door to abuse if it's not extremely tightly policed

Comment

Originally posted by FitnessBrat View Post
                          Does this mean you think that life begins at conception? Also, just curious if you believe that 100% of the time - no regard to the mother (although you absolutely can not carry a child to term without stress to another human in some form)?
                          On one hand if we found a sperm on another planet science would say we have found life on another planet. For practicality sake a detectable heartbeat is what I would consider life as it is in death. At that point the life has rights imo. Medical reasoning is a different level entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr I View Post
                            It's a very delicate subject and by allowing assisted suicide you do open the door to abuse if it's not extremely tightly policed

That is a fear, especially in the elderly population (coercion).

Comment

I just had this discussion in a med ethics class. I'm all about autonomy.

Comment

Working...
                              X