Jon Jones stripped of UFC title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jon Jones stripped of UFC title

After his recent hit and run and various legal issues surrounding it, UFC finally stepped up and held him accountable. So much talent and potential being wasted.

Jon Jones stripped of UFC title, Cormier meets Johnson for vacant belt at UFC 187 | MMAjunkie

I was surprised they did this and couldn't help but think there is more information we aren't all privy to. Also I just read that Reebok dropped their sponsorship of him as well.

I'm glad, I thought the guy was a hyped up douche bag for awhile. He's a great fighter--and more importantly Greg Jackson is a great coach-- but that's where it stops.

Comment

This dude needs to get his damn head straight. Cocaine and now a hit and run? Messing up a life that people would kill to have.

Comment

Good. It shows UFC as responsible and is a huge step on the right direction for them on gaining the respect of the old skool

Comment

On the other hand, Mayweather is going to be fighting for a $300M purse, and he is a serial batterer of women. I guess money talks. Some guys are just too big, too important, too much money at stake. MMA is still small potatoes compared to top rank boxing in terms of $s, as Jones appears to have found out.

Comment

A huge difference is this type of decision making is that the UFC is an individually owned entity and has the ability to make decisions efficiently and quickly. You look at the WBA, WBO and all the rest of that boxing bullshit and you have an series of international organizations built of various castles and kingdoms, all vying for a piece of the pie. Its been a corrupted sport for awhile now...not saying that the UFC is golden, but they definitely have iron clad control over their brand...they actually pride themselves on that. They aren't an organization international or otherwise, they are a business and run it like that.

And you hit on a very good point--no one in MMA is grossing 300 million a fight.

Comment

Scrum, I wasn't aware Mayweather was such, does he have a rap sheet?

Comment

He has dodged most of it with his bottomless wallet. Read this article:

The Trouble With Floyd Mayweather

"Floyd Mayweather's history of misogyny, expressed—as he is wont to do—through violence, is well-documented and reprehensible. It extends over a dozen years and includes at least seven separate physical assaults on five different women that resulted in arrest or citation, as well as several other instances where the police had to be summoned in response to an actual or perceived threat from Mayweather."

Comment

Letter from Ken Shamrock to Jon Jones:

http://www.mmaweekly.com/ufc-hall-of...r-to-jon-jones

Hi Jon:

Few others can understand the enticement of the lust of life when the world says “yes” to your every desire. At these times, anything you want is at your fingertips: free meals, expensive gifts, amazing opportunities, bigsponsorships, money, girls, and just about every desire being met on demand.

One day, everything changes. Speaking from experience, the decisions we make eventually catches up to us. These consequences, from the seeds that we have sown, are very real and seldom easy to deal with. Fame is often a road paved with heartbreak. It’s a black hole that has the ability to engulf a distracted soul.

Unfortunately, you must sleep in the bed that you made. You did this to yourself, and you have issues that need to be dealt with. It’s important that you understand that all your troubles today are a bi-product of your actions. Once you truly understand this, then you can begin to heal what has been broken and move forward once again.

Jon, you are a true champion who has accomplished heights that few others will ever reach. Use your same internal strengths and determination that helped you become a world champion to fight though this hard season and yourself. Your next fight is with yourself.

Ironically, a documentary film is soon (June) to be released about me called The Greatest Fight. The greatest fight was ultimately with myself. I lived through the hardships that my actions caused me and hope others can learn from my past mistakes. The lust of the flesh (i.e. fame, money, sex, and drugs) blinded me and the bottom had to drop out before I could see clearly, rebuild, and rise up once again.

Jon, do NOT give up on yourself. You have risen to amazing levels in your career, and your fans need to see you learn from your mistakes and rise above them. It’s time to re-focus where focus has been lost. It’s very important that you get back to the your strong faith in Christ and allow Him to be your strength and guiding light though this season and beyond. Let this be a beginning of a testimony to help others. Although your fate is in your hands and no one else’s, I encourage you to draw close to those who are strongest in your circles and allow them to help you, too.

This is not the end, but your beginning. Fight the fight.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the woman in the accident for a speedy recovery.

God bless,
                  Ken Shamrock

Comment

Looks like Muscletech dropped him as well as Reebok.

Do stupid tricks, win stupid prizes.

Comment

Working...
                    X