The trouble with Chicken: Salmonella - PBS Frontline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The trouble with Chicken: Salmonella - PBS Frontline

Scary shit considering how much chicken I eat..

The main point I've taken from this is that you just shouldn't buy "fresh unfrozen" chicken. The amount of time it takes to get to the store is just too long to prevent dangerous bacteria. Go frozen guys.

The Trouble with Chicken | FRONTLINE | PBS

Interesting because I use frozen for everyday chicken but not frozen if I'm making a chicken dish or dinner.

Comment

That's frightening. I prefer fresh chicken but might have to reconsider after watching that.

Comment

Just click cook it properly, been doing it 23 years only one hickup

Comment

Originally posted by Mr I View Post
          Just click cook it properly, been doing it 23 years only one hickup
          The issue though is that one hickup you had has become much more dangerous. The strain of ecoli has become much stronger and aggressive then anytime in the past. Our use of antibiotics and antibacterial soaps has made bacteria very tough to deal with now.

Comment

The Good News About E. Coli Food Poisoning

Comment

It's not just about cooking either. Cross contamination while prepping the chicken is also an issue. You think you washed your hands properly, the cutting board, counters, faucet handle, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
                The issue though is that one hickup you had has become much more dangerous. The strain of ecoli has become much stronger and aggressive then anytime in the past. Our use of antibiotics and antibacterial soaps has made bacteria very tough to deal with now.
                When it happened to me I was projectile vomiting within 2-3 hours of eating it. It's the only time I've ever projectile vomited but in a way it was a good thing my body so aggressively dealt with it.

Comment

May I add that the link was very informative

Comment

Originally posted by Mr I View Post
                    When it happened to me I was projectile vomiting within 2-3 hours of eating it. It's the only time I've ever projectile vomited but in a way it was a good thing my body so aggressively dealt with it.
                    Most likely it was something else. Both Samonella and e coli take a lot longer than that to multiply and start effecting the body. But if it was one of those illnesses it was from something you ate at minimum 8 hours ago up to a few days or more previously.

Comment

Working...
                    X