Why we should let kids choose their own summer reading books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why we should let kids choose their own summer reading books

Why we should let kids choose their own summer reading books - The Washington Post

Reading should never be a chore. To this day I have a negative mental connection with books because of the way teachers would say in that miserable tone.. "ok class please open your books to page 47 and study the next 17 chapters."

Or, "you're to read these 3 books over the summer and write a 50 page summary of each".

I hate books to this day because I have a negative association with them.

I'm very smart and I have a huge hunger for knowledge but this whole "1 way of teaching fits all" does not and will not ever work. I learned almost nothing from school because of the way in which they went about teaching.

Comment

We always had a summer reading list of classic type books and then had quizzes the first week of school. I know very few people that did more than the minimum reading requirements for the summer.

Comment

I've never had summer homework but my kids do. They are in private school though and I was in public. My oldest gets to choose three books to read as long as they met a set criteria.

Comment

I do think things are going that way and have in certain areas. My older son has to read and do a book report of sorts, but not life we use to do. Instead of the whole class reading the same book, each kid can choose their own book that meets their lexile level.

Comment

Working...
          X