Police in Iceland kill a man for the first time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police in Iceland kill a man for the first time

Iceland grieves after police kill a man for the first time in its history | Public Radio International

Very laudable and something to strive for, certainly, although the comparison to the US is a bit like apples and oranges. Iceland is like taking a few little towns in upstate North Dakota or Minnesota and extrapolating. I bet the statistics would be a lot closer if such a comparison were made. A highly homogenous population is bound to have less internal strife than an immigrant society. That being said, there's definitely something to admire and learn regarding the respect for the dignity of human life over there.

Comment

Yes exactly

Comment

Not to start the whole gun law debate thing again, but here's total proof that guns arent the problem, people are...you have a country like Iceland that has a population with guns, yet this is the first incident police had to kill an armed man in over half a century. Then you have a bunch of nutcases and assholes with guns in America...and we all know whats going on here. The equation is values, morals, and decent people vs the opposite...proving the classic saying guns dont kill people, people do

Comment

Do they have handguns etc over there or just hunting guns like the UK?

Comment

Good question, i looked it up. Didnt find a definite answer. Automatic weapons and handguns are "regulated by law". I'm guessing that means they're illegal or you need a special permit to acquire one. Maybe it is just hunting only firearms permitted.

Comment

Well in fairness to you I read that as meaning they are allowed, subject to permit.

In uk they aren't allowed at all and hunting rifles require permit.

So Iceland sounds more like US then so you make a good point

Comment

Working...
              X