Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lady Gaga just released what might be the most important music video of the year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady Gaga just released what might be the most important music video of the year

I had to take an online educational course on sexual assault to even register myself for UCF. While I thought at my age it was silly, the statistics are startling. It's absolutely sickening how prevalent rape/sexual assault is in college. I also have a daughter in college, so this is absolutely terrifying for me. 1 in 5 women will be sexually assaulted in college this year. :bawl:

Props to Lady Gaga for bringing attention to things we wish didn't happen.

Lady Gaga Just Released What Might Be The Most Important Music Video of the Year - RYOT News

"Emotionally unsettling"

As a father of 2 girls, this terrifies me as well. Even a girl with the best head on her shoulders and best intentions can end up in a bad situation.

Comment

Originally posted by blm View Post
      "Emotionally unsettling"

As a father of 2 girls, this terrifies me as well. Even a girl with the best head on her shoulders and best intentions can end up in a bad situation.
      I agree. That is the hardest thing as a parent is not being able to protect your family 100% of the time. I have 3 girls and it is absolutely terrifying and sickening to hear those numbers.

Comment

fb, have her carry around pepper spray. sounds funny but I carry around pepper spray myself. not to protect me but to protect my dogs when we go to the park just in-case there is a dog of leash. best way to prevent something worse from happening while causing no long term damage.

everyone knows about pepper spray but it seems like everyone forgets about it. its $10 on amazon!

Comment

Only 6% of survivors are reporting what happened to them. SIX PERCENT!!!! That is deeply disturbing.

And yes, my daughter does carry pepper spray.

Comment

Make sure she tests it out. I've read how a lot of people that have pepper spray fail to even use it in an attack because they forget they have it and if they do remember they can't figure out how to spray it because it has a safety lock. Some people are even scared of spraying it for fear they will get it in there own eyes. Its not a spray, its a stream that will shoot 10-12 feet, seems a lot of people think it's like a mist where the attacker needs to be super close to them for it to work.

Its easy to say, " its pepper spray its not difficult " but you should try your best to make her test it and get a feel for how it sprays and works. Make it second nature and instinctual to just whip that bitch out and have an attack plan in her head. The whole 'it won't happen to me' thought process is what gets them in trouble.

Comment

pepper spray.... sorry bud..I got my daughter a .380 for her 21st birthday, got her her concealed carry permit and taught her how to use it..

Comment

A gun has more stopping/killing power but honestly you can't pull out a gun and shoot any faster then you can pull out pepper spray. Both are highly effective. No guy is interested in raping someone when they can't see or breath and have snot pouring out of their nose.

Add to that, I can definitely see someone going to jail if the story is "he tried to touch me so I shot him in the face". Suddenly the attacker becomes the victim and the shooter is guilty of murder. Its her story against the dead guy. People have gone to jail for much less. Not worth the hassle IMO.

Comment

I agree with Bouncer. A date rape accusation in college often devolves into a he said/she said situation. Shoot a guy on that kind of situation and it turns into a murder charge pointing the other way. A nonlethal option like pepper spray is a far better option. Probably best to not get yourself into that situation though. Don't walk alone after dark on campus, be careful when visiting others' houses, etc.

Comment

Lip, that's what I plan to do for my daughter too when she gets old enough. And just like you did it's a must to have her practice so that she's comfortable using it.

You pull out a tube of pepper spray and there's still a good chance the rapist will keep perusing the victim. Yes, better to have than nothing at all. But if a girl pulls out a gun most likely she will not even have to use it. Just the presence of a gun will drive him away. That being said I don't think all girls should be carrying a firearm. Only those that have been trained to do so.

Comment

I guarantee most of those sexual assaults are due to alcohol. How many guys get sexually assaulted and don't report it?

Comment

Originally posted by TrapsBrah View Post
                        I guarantee most of those sexual assaults are due to alcohol. How many guys get sexually assaulted and don't report it?

What does that have to do with ANYthing? And I have many statistics on sexual assault against males, as well. I will be happy to post those if you want.

Comment

I'm sorry, but carrying a gun around your college campus is just not a realistic idea of protection. Many, MANY victims know the person, so they likely would not have had their gun anyway. And how about date rape drugs? Those victims are in no place to be busting out their loaded weapon to shoot someone. Sounds great in theory, but it simply isn't realistic for students.
                          Last edited by FitnessBrat; 09-28-15, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FitnessBrat View Post
                            What does that have to do with ANYthing? And I have many statistics on sexual assault against males, as well. I will be happy to post those if you want.
                            If someone was sober they'd be able to think and act more clearly probably preventing most sexual assaults. Plenty of girls have claimed to have been assaulted just to get back at a guy. I've seen this happen on my college campus. Of course the dean is going to side with the helpless female.

Comment

As a woman, you MUST have a friend with you who can intervene if the worst happens. Like FB said, the date rape drug is a game changer. If you are in no state to resist, the only chance you have is if you have a friend who can help out. But that means that you have to not put yourself into a situation where you are alone with the guy, at least until you can trust him to not take advantage of you.

Comment

Working...
                              X