Checking Account Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking Account Question

All the sudden BOA is charging me a $25 "monthly maintenance" fee.

Call center is closed right now so before I call does anyone have any clue what that's about?

Can't afford that shit right now so advice is appreciated.

Have you been using it or just letting it sit untouched? Also is there a minimum balance requirement for the account type?

Comment

Using it and it's the first time I've seen this monthly maintenance bs. Wasn't even notified of a change.

No minimum balance as it's always low after I pay my bills. This maintenance charge just took it down to $18 dollars though. lol

Comment

It is because you are using Bank of America.....

Comment

Find a smaller bank to do business with. BOA has been pulling tricks on customers for years.

Comment

I use BoA for my checking. I have for over 15 years. Never an issue. I don't get charged any maintenance fees regardless of the balance or usage.

Comment

I've been with BOA for years and they have one of the heftiest fees in the banking industry. I love the bank though for many reasons. If you have some financial issue right now with keeping a minimum, try smaller banks bro. They usually have no or lesser fees and some if not most, don't require you to keep a minimum if you use online bill pay.

My accounts don't get hit with fees, but then again mine are business.

Comment

I have used many banks in my years with all my moving around. If you have huntington in your area I highly recommend that one. Been with them a few years now. Checking and savings. Never any surprises and the 24 hour grace is great. So much less stress and have saved a lot of money. We also have a separate general savings account with USAA. Many times I have been able to just buy what I need or want without having to worry about over drawing my account. It gives me time to transfer money after the fact or simply wait until the next day if it's pay day and never have to do a thing.

Comment

Go try USAA or ally bank

Comment

BoA is definitely known to play games.

I have my mortgage and amex with USAA. Definitely the easiest, low hassle, low/no fee financial organization I've dealt with.

I use ING for a out of site out of mind higher interest savings.

And I have a HELOC with Synovus. Another hassle free financial organization.

If I could do everything with USAA I would.

Comment

Canceled my checking account with BOA.

They had no answer as to why suddenly after 10 years my account now has a $25 maintenance fee. Their only reason was that it "must have been a mistake that you weren't charged before". LMAO. So BOA was just making a mistake for 10 years by not charging me?!? Fuck outta here. I told them the answer is ridiculous and I need to cancel my account immediately.

Comment

If its the checking account I used to have with them you need an avg monthly balance of 5k in all your accounts with BOA or you get charged $25/month. There are a few other ways you can avoid it but I forget exactly what they are. Things like having a mortgage through them or having a certain credit card with them, crap like that.
                        Fees are one reason I stopped banking with them. There are too many banks out there that by simply having direct deposit or so many ATM transactions per month you get free checking that it isn't even worth possibly incurring a damn fee. At least that is how I feel.
                        I now use a local bank and I have to say I love the service I get from them. Literally the people at the bank closed me on using them. I stopped in when I moved as there was one a few blocks away and walked out with an account. That branch actually closed as they opened a new bank between 2 old branches and consolidated the 2 old branches. I was wondering if the people would be different but I am glad to say many of the employees were the same and the "new" employees were just as nice. It might seem silly as I rarely even go in to the bank anymore but they were so friendly and professional they earned my business. I also had an issue with unauthorized use of my debit card one time and they took care of it extremely quickly and were very helpful. I hope they dont get bought up by a big bank. They seem to be expanding so hopefully that is a sign of their success and that wont happen.

Comment

None of the smaller banks you guys are listing appear to be on the West Coast. Iv'e seen a bunch out here so I'll have to look around.

Stan your right, they did mention the $5000 balance. My issue with that though is in 10 years I have NEVER had a $5000 balance. Not once. For some reason out of the blue they suddenly charged me a maintenance fee.

I asked the girl what a maintenance fee was, asked her if they go into my account with a broom and sweep? Told her that they don't charge a maintenance fee if I give them more money because "maintenance" is a made up charge. She actually agreed which was surprising because I know the call was recorded.

Comment

To their credit they gave me a 1 time credit of $25 so at least it's a small victory. lol

Comment

When I lived in Az I used Wells Fargo. I don't recall any issues. Pretty sure you have them.

Comment

Working...
                              X