No announcement yet.

Annual Physicals - More Harm than Good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annual Physicals - More Harm than Good?

Interesting point they make in that a bunch of healthy people coming in to get a yearly physical takes time away from the sick and people who need that time and attention from the doctor.

Do annual physicals do more harm than good? - CNN.com

I don't think the average Joe that feels their health is good gets a consistent yearly physical. I also think issues are better taken care of when they are found early. Maybe you don't know you have high cholesterol, or low iron. Now that you've had your physical and bloodwork, you can get working on those before they turn into major issues down the road.

Comment

I agree FB, I'm sure physicals have saved a ton of people by finding something early. But I do see the point they are making also. I've been to the Doc and the way they put you in a room and take as little time as possible evaluating your problem because they have a million other people to attend to could also lead to misdiagnoses etc..

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
        I agree FB, I'm sure physicals have saved a ton of people by finding something early. But I do see the point they are making also. I've been to the Doc and the way they put you in a room and take as little time as possible evaluating your problem because they have a million other people to attend to could also lead to misdiagnoses etc..

But the amount of "other people" will always be high. So if the "healthy person wasting time" stops making their appointments, they will just be filled with more of the other people. The doctor will not free up more time. That's what makes this whole thing not believable at all.

Comment

Yea I see what your saying. More healthy or sick people means the same chance for misdiagnoses. Good point.

Comment

I blame the damn insurance companies. Drs have to overbook to the point that I honestly think it is very rare people get the time and attention they deserve when it comes to their health. The very system itself fosters the "you are just a number" scenario that seems to be prevalent when it comes to a Dr's care now a days.
            I think it started off that years and years ago Dr's were raping the system but the insurance companies have now swayed the scales the other way to the point that it is rare you get the care, time and attention you deserve. My best Dr experiences have been with older Dr's nearing retirement that had already made their money. They didnt care anymore about making their fortune and were just continuing to be a Dr because they truly like doing it. These are the guys that you end up waiting a long time in their office to see because they dont give a daamn if the next appointment is just 15 minutes after the one they are on. The give the care the patient deserves and thats that.

Comment

agree 100% stan. I imagine only pro athletes and the very wealthy get that personalized attention to details that we all feel we deserve.

Comment

I get mine every year. It is pretty sad how booked these docs make themselves. It is a numbers game for them though.

Comment

yea i mean i'm sure the doc could make the choice to give his patients more personalized care by booking a lower amount of appointments if he wanted. but money talks and they jam as many people in as they can.

these problems will only increase the more the population grows.

Comment

A billion dollar industry consistently and all we are to them? A number....you do realize that some of the best docs see about 3 to 4 patients an hour. I've yet to see a docs office(and you know I frequent them quite often)where I don't feel like a packed sardines sort of felling.

Comment

Working...
                    X