Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rousey: I was thinking of killing myself after loss

http://www.newsweek.com/ronda-rousey...t-holly-427496

Ronda Rousey, the self-proclaimed highest-paid fighter in the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), says she contemplated suicide after her devastating knockout defeat by Holly Holm.

Rousey was unbeaten in 12 mixed martial arts contests going into her UFC bantamweight title defense against Holm on November 15 in Melbourne.

But in a stunning reversal of predictions, Holm beat Rousey with a kick to the jaw in the second round at UFC 193.

And in a frank interview on the Ellen DeGeneres Show, broadcast on Tuesday, Rousey admitted to suffering depression in the wake of the loss.

Asked by DeGeneres whether she had second thoughts about entering the ring again, Rousey, fighting back tears, said: “I was down in the medical room, sitting in the corner, and I was asking myself, ‘What am I any more if I’m not this?’”

“I was sitting there thinking about killing myself, thinking, ‘I’m nothing, what can I do any more? No one gives a s*** about me any more.

“Then I looked up and saw my man Travis [Stevens, an Olympic Judo athlete], and I thought, ‘I need to have his babies, I need to stay alive.’”

Rousey says she would like a rematch with Holm, but she will have to wait until after the woman nicknamed “The Preacher’s Daughter” fights Miesha Tate at UFC 196, on a card headlined by Irishman Conor McGregor against Rafael Dos Anjos.

I'm sure many many fighters have thought the same, so her story is just another one in the books. She'll bounce back and reign again, well maybe.

Comment

That's why losses build character. If you get that far without losing you actually believe you are a god and when someone tares you down, which is inevitable, you can't cope if you've never been there before and everyone looks to you as the king shit.

Comment

yup. same with life. you learn most through struggle.

Comment

It showed a side of her which lacked big time BEING HUMBLED. I'm glad she shared what she was feeling after the lose. I think she will be back better than before. I was amazed at how so many of her fans abandoned her and talked shit after that fight.

Keep in mind pretty much all fighters esp in UFC get handed a lose.

Comment

Working...
          X