The Farthest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Farthest

Documentary on the Voyager spacecraft, premiering on PBS on the 23rd.

Don't miss it! Got good reviews on Physics Today.

http://physicstoday.scitation.org/do...ce=feedburner&

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I'll be watching. Crazy to think that thing launched in the 70's, is traveling almost 40,000mph and is only something like 20 light hours away. Blows my mind.

Comment

already leaked scrum. about to watch it.

https://oload.tv/f/wgXaGy3dL1Q/The.F....H.264.mkv.mp4

option 2: http://vidzi.tv/ee0obm6q8wx7.html

Comment

damn i didn't realize the crafts are the size of a bus. for some reason i thought they were the size of something like an old VW Beetle.

Comment

finished it last night. very good. talks about how they went about making the choices of what music/symbols/pictures/voices to put onto the golden record.

it's nuclear power source is in one of it's extended arms because if it was at the center of the craft it would destroy the electronics. just one of those things I didn't even think about. I always figured its arms were all measurement instruments.

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
            finished it last night. very good. talks about how they went about making the choices of what music/symbols/pictures/voices to put onto the golden record.

it's nuclear power source is in one of it's extended arms because if it was at the center of the craft it would destroy the electronics. just one of those things I didn't even think about. I always figured its arms were all measurement instruments.
            I just read an article this week where the guys that put the location of earth on those Voyager craft are now regretting it. One guy said back then it was all optimistic and nobody ever thought for one second that alien life could have bad intentions, which seems more likely nowadays.

Seems Hawking talking of possible aliens likely being plunderers of resources has these guys wishing they could turn back the clock so to not lead them right to us.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckz28 View Post
              I just read an article this week where the guys that put the location of earth on those Voyager craft are now regretting it. One guy said back then it was all optimistic and nobody ever thought for one second that alien life could have bad intentions, which seems more likely nowadays.

Seems Hawking talking of possible aliens likely being plunderers of resources has these guys wishing they could turn back the clock so to not lead them right to us.
              No I don't think that's fully accurate. There was debate even back then whether or not they should put our location on the crafts. Some were for it and some were against it, that hasn't changed. They are still split.

Here's the thing though. By the time any alien civilization actually happens to find the craft our sun will probably be long gone and by extension so will earth. The times and distances we are talking about are beyond imaginable. Those crafts left earth 40 years ago, travel @ 40,000mph and are not even a light day away from earth yet. Really think about that...

Comment

Yeah I suppose it's irrelevant. The thing is more likely to be smashed by debris. If it were ever even found the assumption they would be able to translate what is on there is a stretch and by then Earth would be long gone anyway. Nothing more than a time capsule. I'd have to see if I can find that article. I don't recall the man's name that was involved with the project who was in the interview.

Comment

Here you go
                  How a NASA Spacecraft May Help Aliens Find Earth

“Back when Drake did the pulsar map, and Carl Sagan and the whole team did the Voyager record, there hadn't been very much debate over the pros and cons of contact with extraterrestrial intelligence,”

Comment

It's not accurate bro. There was considerable debate. They were not idiots at JPL, trust me.

Comment

The rate at which we are going in destroying the planet, I doubt we are going to last 500 more years. So, I think any worry about aliens finding us is irrelevant.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
                        The rate at which we are going in destroying the planet, I doubt we are going to last 500 more years. So, I think any worry about aliens finding us is irrelevant.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk
                        Carl talks about that in the original cosmos. It may be that's happened multiple times throughout the universe. A civilization reaches a certain level of power and 4 times out of 5 ultimately destroys itself because of greed, pride, concepts of "us vs them" in terms of country vs country rather than working together as 1 world.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
                          Documentary on the Voyager spacecraft, premiering on PBS on the 23rd.

Don't miss it! Got good reviews on Physics Today.

http://physicstoday.scitation.org/do...ce=feedburner&

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
                          old thread but a new update to the original topic.

-------------------
                          Voyager 2 Makes an Unexpectedly Clean Break from the Solar System

The first scientific results from the spacecraft’s exit into interstellar space have been published, revealing a simpler departure than its predecessor

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...&sf222886297=1

Astronomers have released the first results from the late 2018 passage of NASA’s Voyager 2 probe into interstellar space, revealing some notable differences to the first crossing made by its sister spacecraft, Voyager 1, in 2012. The data shows that although Voyager 1’s departure was fairly “messy,” the exit of Voyager 2 was much cleaner as it left our sun’s influence on its journey into the galaxy.

Using data from Voyager 2’s Plasma Science Experiment, an instrument that was not working on Voyager 1 during its earlier entry into interstellar space, scientists confirmed that Voyager 2’s exit occurred on November 5, 2018. That was when Voyager 2 registered a sudden decrease in the “solar wind” particles emanating from our sun, along with a concordant increase in the numbers of incoming galactic cosmic rays and the strength of the interstellar magnetic field. Taken together, these data showed the spacecraft had passed beyond a boundary of our sun’s influence known as the heliopause—loosely defined as the point at which interstellar space begins. Both of the Voyager probes were launched weeks apart in 1977 on a grand tour of the outer planets, and to date are the only human-built machines to have reached interstellar space.

In a series of papers published in the journal Nature Astronomy, five separate teams of scientists analyzed the data from Voyager 2 to compare its crossing with that of Voyager 1. Although it took Voyager 1 about 28 days to cross the heliopause after leaving the sun’s bubble of influence, known as the heliosphere, it took Voyager 2 less than a day to do so. “On Voyager 1 we found that even before we left the heliosphere we had two episodes where we were connected to the ‘outside,’” says Voyager project scientist Ed Stone, lead author on one of the papers. “On Voyager 2 it was just the opposite. We were outside, but we continued to see particles leaking from the inside.”

The passage of the two spacecraft into interstellar space occurred at similar distances from the sun—121.6 AU for Voyager 1 versus 119 AU for Voyager 2 (one AU, or astronomical unit, is the distance from Earth to the sun). But Voyager 1 appears to have been unique in crossing a so-called stagnation region, 8.6 AU across, where the movement of plasma around the spacecraft dropped to almost zero (scientists were able to work this out from other instruments, despite the spacecraft not having a working plasma instrument). “Essentially the plasma was just sitting there,” says John Richardson from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, lead author on another paper.

By comparison, Voyager 2 did not encounter a region where the plasma stagnates, instead passing through a so-called transition region where the flow of plasma from the sun begins to change in strength and direction, followed by a “boundary layer” where incoming cosmic ray particles increase, and then a clean break through the heliopause. “Voyager 1 seemed to be more messy,” says Du Toit Strauss of North-West University in South Africa. “Voyager 2 had this seemingly more simple structure, and that’s not explained at the moment. It might be due to [decreased solar activity during the sun’s 11-year solar cycle], and Voyager 2 was crossing when the heliopause was moving inwards.”

Nevertheless, despite the spacecraft being separated from each other by 165 AU, the fact that the two crossings occurred at similar distances during significantly different levels of solar activity was “remarkable,” Stamatios Krimigis of Johns Hopkins University and his colleagues wrote in their own paper. And the overall results pose some interesting questions about the possible structure of the heliosphere, with some debate as to whether it is a spherical bubble or more cometlike, with a tail extending back owing to the sun’s motion through the galaxy. “It seems to be something in between,” Strauss says. “We don’t know the exact shape of our heliosphere, which is rather depressing.”

Both Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 crossed into interstellar space at the supposed “head” of this comet, so it would take a mission in the other direction to work out if there is indeed a tail. Scientists have been discussing the possibility of sending out a new interstellar probe, although such a mission would probably launch no sooner than the 2030s. Until then, humanity’s two intrepid interstellar travellers will continue to define our current understanding. And with the possibility the probes could live for another decade, scientists are looking forward to further measurements they make deeper in interstellar space.

Comment

Working...
                          X