Parkland Students Are Now Upset With School Safety Measures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parkland Students Are Now Upset With School Safety Measures

"The increased police presence has given students of color at Stoneman Douglas a sense of unease, according to Kai Koerber, a junior. He said the school is being turned into "a police state."

"Every day, students lose more and more freedoms at MSD," Koerber said. "Students of color have become targets and white students have become suspects. We do not welcome the militarization of MSD. It is terrible to see our school lose control over the protection of their students and their families."

Students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School return to class Monday, their first day back since organizing one of the largest youth-led protests in US history.

But these teenagers won't be returning to a normal high school experience. Instead, they'll be met with strict security measures which are intended to protect them from another mass shooting but have some students feeling as if they'll be learning in a prison.

Parkland students say they're apprehensive about their school's increased security measures.

"We have no sense of normalcy anymore," said Robinson, 17.

MSD students will only be allowed to carry clear backpacks on campus and will be required to wear new student IDs at all times.

There will be an increased police presence on campus, as Gov. Rick Scott provides extra Florida Highway Patrol officers to beef up security and provide support to Broward County sheriff's deputies. Students will have limited points of entry to the school.

The school district also says it's considering whether to install metal detectors at the school's entrances. A letter from Principal Ty Thompson sent to families on Friday said that step has not been taken yet.

"It feels like being punished," Robinson told CNN. "It feels like jail, being checked every time we go to school."

When classes first resumed two weeks after the shooting, Thompson told students not to bring backpacks at all while they focused on their emotional health and not the curriculum.

Now, along with their newly donated clear backpacks, students will begin to focus on their studies again, Thompson wrote, though the school will continue to provide emotional support as necessary.

The new precautions were put in place after several security breaches last month.

A sheriff's deputy was suspended after he was found sleeping in his squad car on campus. Two students were charged with bringing weapons to school, and a third made a threat on social media. And then there was the arrest of Zachary Cruz, the adopted brother of the gunman, when he was found skateboarding on campus.

Many students, like Robinson, aren't happy about the new security measures. She pointed out that the gunman, Nikolas Cruz, was not a student of Stoneman Douglas at the time of the shooting, so the new security measures that appear to target students are counterproductive.

"It's like putting into place all these rules that wouldn't have changed anything," Robinson said.

Some students, like senior Demitri Hoth, recognize the need for new security policies but think the clear backpacks cross a line.

"I get it," he said, but, "it feels like we are losing individualism. I understand why they are doing it, but if a person wants to bring a gun on campus, they just aren't going to put it in their backpack."

Bishop said he would support metal detectors but called the clear backpacks "an invasion of privacy." He believes the increased security measures will make students "safer," but that doesn't mean they'll be "safe."

"I mean, no one feels safe," said Bishop. "Who feels safe in Parkland, Florida? No one."
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/01/us/pa...ool/index.html

posted this 2 days ago you dipshit

Comment

Originally posted by lipripper View Post
      posted this 2 days ago you dipshit
      He's getting old Lip. Fella got a full head of silver hair. Guessing he's in or close to his 50's.

Comment

Considering yesterday was the first day back after the March, the article was created yesterday and 2 days ago was easter I have a hard time believing you could possibly have posted this 2 days ago...

Comment

you dipshits need to read. the article i posted has a much wider range of issues and kids upset.

rip posted a twitter post about black kids.

https://www.superiormuscle.com/forum...nts-upset-lolo

Comment

Lip you racist SOB!

Comment

Maybe they should hand the rojtc kids some guns and have them patrol. There future cadets??? Imagine that sheet

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like some need to just get more therapy and maybe switch to homeschooling since they are whining about their own shadow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
                  you dipshits need to read. the article i posted has a much wider range of issues and kids upset.

rip posted a twitter post about black kids.

https://www.superiormuscle.com/forum...nts-upset-lolo
                  same shit you nitwit trying to seal my thunder bitch...you just wanna expand it a bit..:D

Comment

Originally posted by Chadd77 View Post
                    Lip you racist SOB!
                    I know..aint that some shit...:rofl:

Comment

Bouncer must be getting that closed in feeling living out there in fag ville..hes buying guns and talking all NRA amerika fuck yea shit.. hes seeing how much he really hates the liberal mindset now...

look guys..dont let him get ahold of any TREN..he will fucking loose it...:D

Comment

Originally posted by lipripper View Post
                        Bouncer must be getting that closed in feeling living out there in fag ville..hes buying guns and talking all NRA amerika fuck yea shit.. hes seeing how much he really hates the liberal mindset now...

look guys..dont let him get ahold of any TREN..he will fucking loose it...:D
                        mother fucker this is all in your area. just across the border from you. pussification of the south. your probably god friends with the coward county pussies.

Comment

Lol

Comment

When we went to school we had mesh bags with a tie string. You cOuld see right through it. We also had metal detectors and security guards. Lol.
                            Why is this a problem now.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Comment

If you need a backpack full of tampons. Ummm.. I think you got a problem and need to see a dr. Cuz you might have a new disease and i dont wanna sit next to yo bleedin ass...:)
                              Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
                              Lol
                              Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X