This is why CNN is Fake News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is why CNN is Fake News

We had a debate here on SM about a month ago on whether CNN is left leaning or centrist. Most of us were saying left leaning and some of us were also saying they are anti-gun. My argument was that most of these networks give opinions now rather then facts.

CNN not only gives opinions to push a narrative but now they are actively taking facts and distorting them into something that is purposely deceitful.

The latest proof of this is the narrative that CNN is repeating over and over. "There have been 22 school shootings in 2018."

Now we can all agree that any school shooting is a horrible thing and should never happen. Even 1 is too many. But take a look at what fake news does with facts. They know exactly what most people think of when they think of a "school shooting" and they know most people won't bother to research the facts. So they bullshit with numbers to create bigger headlines and push a false narrative.

Here is what CNN defines as a “school shooting”:

A student shot another student with a BB gun in Gloversville Middle School.

A teacher accidentally discharged a gun during a public safety class at Seaside High School, injuring a student.

One person was hospitalized after a shooting at an apartment building on the campus of the University of South Alabama.

Two people were shot to death at a dormitory on the campus of Central Michigan University. The victims were not students and police think the incident stemmed from a domestic situation.

A person was shot in a rec center at Mississippi Valley State University. Police said the person was not a student and the injury was not life-threatening.

A fight led to a shooting in the parking lot of Lincoln High School, fatally wounding a 32-year-old man.

Why is that fake news? Each one of that WAS a shooting. Looks like you are the one pushing a false narrative that these incidents are not shootings.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
      Why is that fake news? Each one of that WAS a shooting. Looks like you are the one pushing a false narrative that these incidents are not shootings.

I've already explained it crystal clear. It's disingenuous and purposely deceitful. The typical average Joe news watcher doesn't look past the headline. They don't look into the details. When people hear "school shooting" they have a certain image in their head. They see someone walking through a school shooting kids. They don't imagine a shooting in an apartment building between 2 adults that happens to be on school grounds.

Comment

It's still a shooting as scrum said. Now the extent of it, that is totally different and I can see how anyone, would think actual shootings, not necessarily a pellet gun type thing.

But they're stating facts, it is a shooting. Tell me then, how would the govt classify a shooting of a weapon?

Comment

nobody is saying it's not a shooting. it's about context and narrative. being disingenuous. choosing how they want to tell a story in order to make people see something from a particular viewpoint.

Comment

Maybe there implying that guns are to easy to bring to a campus and be fired off. But we should change school shooting trend to student on student shooting or student gun hate crime. But I see how they make it look like kids are killing kids on the daily. Shit I went to schools in los Angeles from 1980-1990 so I watched plenty of people and friends get shot point blank over gangs. Shit even my white ass was packing like I was John Wayne. But only because everyone was killing people for air Jordan. Shit has changed but just different reasons to murder. But killing as many class mates for there own personal bulling is weak. Why they do not hunt down the bully and just take him out is beyond me. It is all wrong but to another level...

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
              nobody is saying it's not a shooting. it's about context and narrative. being disingenuous. choosing how they want to tell a story in order to make people see something from a particular viewpoint.
              That's just how YOU are interpreting things. I think the average person had no trouble understanding that the article is including ALL gun incidents, not just the ones with multiple fatalities. Most reasonable people will agree that any gun discharge in a school is unacceptable, and those incidents are what the article is counting up. You, on the other hand, want to dismiss the onesy-twosy incidents as no big deal - why else would you take issue with a factual headline? That's the normalization that's part of the problem.

That being said, I agree that there's a lethal combination of ridiculously free availability of firepower and something really toxic with the American male psyche that causes these incidents with such regularity. Heck, guns are more readily available in Syria and Somalia but I don't see random lone male shootings there. The complete decimation of medical Care on this country is a national disgrace. We need 100% single payer healthcare for ALL. Now.

Comment

Most reasonable people will agree that any gun discharge in a school is unacceptable
                in a school yes. some of these incidents are not in a school. CNN wants the number to be as high as possible for shock value. 22 SCHOOL SHOOTINGS!

Comment

something really toxic with the American male psyche that causes these incidents with such regularity. Heck, guns are more readily available in Syria and Somalia but I don't see random lone male shootings there.
                  thank you. i agree. something in particular about America has caused this and i'm not sure anyone knows exactly what. shotguns are available almost everywhere around the globe. but only in America does a boy say "i think i'll go blow my classmates away today." where the fuck does that mindset come from!?

Comment

in a school yes. some of these incidents are not in a school. CNN wants the number to be as high as possible for shock value. 22 SCHOOL SHOOTINGS!
                    I think you are watching too much NRA TV. You are ascribing sinister intentions where they simply don't exist.

Comment

I think you are watching too much NRA TV. You are ascribing sinister intentions where they simply don't exist.

bias and false narrative is something that doesn't exist in the media or politics... no your right. lol

I'm not saying cnn wants blood. I'm saying cnn wants dramatic headlines. More clicks, more views, more likes, more ratings.

Comment

bias and false narrative is something that doesn't exist in the media or politics... no your right. lol
                        I didn't say that bias doesn't exist. I just said that in this case, you are looking for something that doesn't exist. It was an innocuous, factual headline.

Comment

I didn't say that bias doesn't exist. I just said that in this case, you are looking for something that doesn't exist. It was an innocuous, factual headline.

It's factual but it's disingenuous. I know you know what disingenuous means. I know you know there are plenty of morons who never look past a headline. Something like 25% of the US adult population cannot name the first president of the United States scrum. You think these people have the cognitive ability or desire to truly understand the facts?

You know exactly what I'm saying. They aren't lying but they aren't fully laying out a clear picture either. You don't have a problem with misleading in this case because you are okay with uninformed people forming a "guns are evil" mindset.

I'm a reasonable guy scrum. I'm not this right wing gun nut you are trying to make me into with your comments. I can see bullshit on all sides, be it left or right. I despise Fox news, I think breitbart is an absolute joke. I can admit major flaws of an organization like the NRA who just elected Oliver North as it's president which is a stupid fucken move for multiple reasons. So don't make me out to be someone who can only see flaws in "the other side". I am on my own side. There are things I like and things I dispise about both the left and the right.

Comment

There’s nothing wrong with NRA TV imo..

Comment

Originally posted by A$AP View Post
                              There’s nothing wrong with NRA TV imo..
                              only person i can name on NRATV is Colion Noir. guy is brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buS22r94_gU

Comment

Working...
                              X