California fire explodes in size, is now largest in state history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California fire explodes in size, is now largest in state history

The air here is not fun to breath. It's a bit like being at a cookout or standing around a fire when the smoke blows in your face except you can't step into fresh air because there is none. lol

Catastrophic wildfires continue to ravage California, as one blaze nearly doubled in size over the last three days, making it the largest in the state's history.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/06/us/ca...res/index.html

He really can be a dumb twat. lol

________

In a strikingly ignorant tweet, Trump gets almost everything about California wildfires wrong

No one would mistake President Trump for an expert on climate change or water policy, but a tweet he issued late Sunday about California’s wildfires deserves some sort of award for most glaring misstatements about those two issues in the smallest number of words.

Trump blamed the fires on “bad environmental laws which aren’t allowing massive amount of readily available water to be properly utilized.” He complained that water needed for firefighting is being “diverted into the Pacific Ocean.”

What he overlooked, plainly, is the increasing agreement among experts that intensifying climate change has contributed to the intensity of the wildfire season. California’s woodlands have been getting drier and hotter. As my colleagues Rong-Gong Lin II and Javier Panzar reported over the weekend, “California has been getting hotter for some time, but July was in a league of its own.”

The current wildfires, which have killed nine people and consumed nearly 400,000 acres of woodland, destroyed 1,100 homes and forced the evacuation of thousands of residents, are among the worst in the state’s history. They’re unrelated to water supplies or environmental laws.

Let’s take Trump’s misconceptions in order. The likeliest explanation for his take on water is that he’s confused by the demands for more irrigation water he’s hearing from Republican officeholders in the Central Valley. They’re the people who grouse about water being “wasted” by being diverted to the ocean, rather than into their fields.

Their demands have nothing to do with the availability of water for firefighting. Fire agencies haven’t been complaining about a lack of water, especially water “diverted” to the Pacific. Major reservoirs are near the worst fire zones; the Carr fire is near Lake Shasta and Whiskeytown Lake and the Mendocino Complex fire is near Clear Lake. All are at or near their historical levels.

“There have been no issues getting water from them,” Scott McLean, a spokesman for the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, or Cal Fire, told me.

Cal Fire, which is managing the wildfire battle, has deployed some 200 water tenders to the fire zone and is dispatching air tankers as flying conditions permit.

“The idea that there isn’t enough water is the craziest thing in the world,” says Peter Gleick, president emeritus of the Pacific Institute for Studies in Development, Environment, and Security in Oakland. “There’s absolutely no shortage.”

The availability of water isn’t necessarily a governing factor in fighting wildfires, which aren’t battled like tenement blazes in the urban center. The battle is dictated by topography, the construction of physical fire breaks, and the use of fire retardant dropped from airborne vessels.

The valley growers’ stepped-up complaints about water diversions have gotten the Trump administration’s attention. Among those leading the charge is Rep. Jeff Denham, R-Turlock, who has been peppering constituents in the Central Valley with promises to fight for “our water.” That’s irrigation supply diverted from the San Joaquin-San Francisco Bay Delta. Denham hosted a visit to the area last week by Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke, whose agency has obligingly attacked state water policies.

Comment

I'd be renting a bulldozer to create a buffer zone around my house.

Comment

Originally posted by AvidFisherman View Post
        I'd be renting a bulldozer to create a buffer zone around my house.
        I'll shoot the fire if it tries something funny.

Sent from my Moto G6 using Tapatalk

Comment

7 people dead this looks really bad for wildlife too

All that technology and they can’t pull water from the sea or something

Comment

7 people dead this looks really bad for wildlife too

All that technology and they can’t pull water from the sea or something

Comment

hope the whole fucking state burns..then a monsoon rain comes and mud slides the whole fucking place to the bottom of the sea.

Comment

Originally posted by lipripper View Post
                hope the whole fucking state burns..then a monsoon rain comes and mud slides the whole fucking place to the bottom of the sea.
                what about your pal? :hibb:

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
                  what about your pal? :hibb:
                  Better get out while you can or die with the rest of them skinny jean soy latte hair up in a Bunn muther fuckers....lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

i will rise from the flames and save the innocent.

Comment

My wife and I had just went through hwy 299 from Eureka to Redding almost a week before the fire had started. Beautiful country through there. A lot of history gone from some of those mining towns. Those poor people and the firefighters got their hands full on that one. Terrain is steep as hell. Fuel loads are tremendous. My wife asked me if they called us out, if I’d go. I didn’t skip a beat and said, damn right I’d go help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thats what happens when you live in a place with 200 ground temp. Whole place just spontaneously combusts!

Comment

Originally posted by redback View Post
                          Thats what happens when you live in a place with 200 ground temp. Whole place just spontaneously combusts!
                          Lmao

Sent from my Moto G6 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X