X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Leak Reveals Pixel 3 As The Largest Smartphone Ever Made

Forbes - Aug 12th 2018

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk.../#36b1339667e7

Thought you knew everything about Google's upcoming Pixel 3 smartphones: the controversial design, polarising specs, long-awaited upgrades and intriguing new camera system. Guess again, because a major new leak has delivered a truly massive surprise...

Earlier this week, a Ukrainian blogger managed to attain a genuine Pixel 3XL stamped by Google and he did an unboxing video confirming the addition of USB-C headphones. Now in a new follow-up video (via Android Police), the blogger has benchmarked the phone and it reveals the Pixel 3XL is a jaw-dropping 6.7-inch display.

Popular benchmarking software Antutu is the platform which gives the game away, and you can see the results at 2 mins 25 seconds into the video (embedded below). The benchmark also reveals an elongated 2960 x 1440 native resolution, 12.2MP single rear camera and dual 8.1MP front cameras, while confirming the RAM controversy.

That said, it is the Pixel 3XL’s display which is set to dominate all future discussions of this phone.

For context, a 6.7-inch screen will make the Pixel 3XL the largest mass-market smartphone ever made. The display is whole 0.7-inches bigger than the Pixel 2XL, 0.3-inches bigger than the newly launched Galaxy Note 9 (which is Samsung’s biggest ever mass-market phone), and it will be 0.2-inches bigger than Apple’s huge iPhone X Plus which launches in two months (details).

All of which poses the question: has Google gone too far?

For the average user, I suspect the answer is 'Yes' and with the smaller Pixel 3 expected to be just 5.3-inches I fear Google has made a mistake ignoring the popular 5.5 to 6-inch bracket where both the iPhone X (5.8-inches) and Galaxy S9 (5.8-inches) sit.

As such, while there is no doubt this leaked Pixel 3XL is the real deal (here’s why), my hope is Antutu has misread the phone’s hardware in publishing its results. This is rare, but it can happen. And what fires this hope is acclaimed industry insider Steve Hemmerstoffer (aka @onleaks) stated the Pixel 3XL would be a more manageable 6.2-inches last month.

That said, if Google has indeed super-sized the Pixel 3XL I think this is a decision which could backfire. Especially at a time when Samsung is about to reinvent the Galaxy S range, and Apple will slash iPhone prices one month before the new Pixels launch…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iByJDWqn0I

i always shit on apple in the past for copying shit that had been on android devices for years and then acting like they invented it. but i gotta be real here, google is clearly copying the Iphone X on this one. right down to the notch at the top.

P.S. i'm pretty sure these so called "leaks" are marketing by google. the "leaked" video hasn't even been attempted to be removed by google who owns youtube where the "leak" happened. lol

Comment

Working...
    X