Watch a Verizon 5G phone hit speeds faster than your home Internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch a Verizon 5G phone hit speeds faster than your home Internet

It was a bit earlier than scheduled, but Verizon switched on parts of its 5G network today, debuting in "select areas" of Minneapolis and Chicago. Every carrier out there likes to slice and dice definitions to have the "First 5G" everything, but in terms of using a real, mmWave 5G signal and something approximating a 5G smartphone, Verizon has made the most progress yet in getting a 5G ecosystem up and running.

5G is still in its very early stages, with access in only a few cities and almost zero device support, so it has been hard to know what 5G will really be like in the real world. Verizon spokesperson David Weissmann shared on Twitter the best look yet at 5G, where he showed a real-life 5G speed test, running on a real smartphone, getting data from a real 5G tower. Specifically Weissmann was out in Minneapolis, pulled out his Verizon™ Moto Z3 phone with the Moto 5G Mod attached, and loaded up the Ookla Speedtest.net app. Behold his speed test:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019...-a-speed-test/

Impressive! I wonder what the 5G data plans are going to cost. I'm sure the phone companies aren't going to give everyone 5G under their current plans.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
      Impressive! I wonder what the 5G data plans are going to cost. I'm sure the phone companies aren't going to give everyone 5G under their current plans.
      I've been hearing there is also going to be 5g home internet plans. i think t-mobile has been testing it.

traps keeps sending me links about 5g and how it gives the government power to change your thought patterns etc.. :rofl:

Comment

Hilarious how the government can simultaneously be the biggest bumbling incompetent organization incapable of the simplest of tasks, and the most diabolical supervillain on the planet.

Comment

Working...
        X