Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Vick is out for probably at least 6 weeks

He fractured his tibula.

It was his fibula. No such thing as a tibula.

Comment

:doh:

Comment

Kayak, I think your a doc right? If so what is your estimated time. Take into consideration that this is an NFL athlete and not your average joe.

Comment

Im not a doctor, but I am an ATC... and its a bit different for him as opposed to most other NFL quarterbacks because he runs the ball 15 times a game. Vick's a franchise player, I doubt he'll be rushed back into action, but he's not out for the season. Leftwich, now with the Jags, played at Marshall University with a ftactured tibia, which is far worse than a fractured fibula. The fibula is non-weight bearing and its primary function is muscle attachment. Most have or can play with a fractured fibula, but its up to that player how he feels and what the ATC and team physician think.

Comment

What do you do exactly as an ATC. Is that similar to physical therapy

Comment

Athletic Training. Im contracted out by a local health care provider to cover college games of all types (football, soccer, baseball, basketball, etc.) & in the summer when the action isnt that heavy, I help run clinics & camps, etc. I also do sports nutrition, so I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Also depends on what certifications you have, CSCS is a great bonus.

Comment

What did you get a degree in? I've got a training cert from the cooper inst. and I will have a dietician cert from there in a couple weeks. Just started going back to school and I've kinda been looking towards sports medicine but havn't found any first hand thoughts on it. Oh and I really enjoy what I'm doing so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Shibby
                  What did you get a degree in? I've got a training cert from the cooper inst. and I will have a dietician cert from there in a couple weeks. Just started going back to school and I've kinda been looking towards sports medicine but havn't found any first hand thoughts on it. Oh and I really enjoy what I'm doing so far.
                  Sports Medicine with a minor in Human Nutrition.

Comment

Do you feel there is a consistant availabilty for jobs? And which university are top notch for sports medicine.

Comment

Originally posted by Shibby
                      Do you feel there is a consistant availabilty for jobs? And which university are top notch for sports medicine.
                      Sure, if you're good at it. The more certs. you have, the more appealing you are. Some certs. arent hard to get. Once you graduate with a degree in Sports Med./Athletic Training, get your ATC cert. then go right after your CSCS. With these, an employer will love you because you can handle injuries & evaluations, AND you can do their conditioning and weight training routines. These are the things I do, plus I do sports nutrition, so I found a job fairly easily, since I can handle all 3 aspects.

Top universities would be the usuals. The larger schools usually have the most stellar programs, however, UT Chat. has an awesome program as well.

Comment

I don't wanna sound like a complete idiot but what would those top universities be? and UT chat.?

Comment

UNC, Duke, Tenn., Wash. St. has a good program. FSU, Florida, Iowa State are the ones that come to mind (for solid Sports medicine programs). Univerity of Tennessee Chattanooga is UT Chat.

Comment

Do you know much about california or arizon schools when it comes to sports medicine?

Comment

Not really.... too far out west for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X