Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netflix Series : When They See Us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3F9n_smGWY

Is a 2019 American drama web television miniseries created, co-written, and directed by Ava DuVernay for Netflix, that premiered on May 31, 2019. The series was inspired by the Central Park jogger case from 1989 in which a 28-year-old female jogger named Trisha Meili was attacked and raped in Central Park in New York City, leaving her in a coma for 12 days. Five juvenile males and the protagonists of the series—four African-American and one Latino (Antron, Kevin, Yusef, Raymond, and Korey)—were convicted of the crimes by juries in two separate trials in 1990. The convictions were subsequently vacated in 2002 (a legal position in which the parties are treated as though no trial has taken place).

Just finish Episode 1 and im already pissed off... Makes you wana punch these detectives in the throats... especially the cunt femal lead detective

Comment

'When They See Us' Reveals the Heartbreaking Truth About Korey Wise

The oldest of the Central Park Five has a particularly devastating story.
      [IMG]https://hips.hearstapps.com/rover/profile_photos/f5c95c8e-d791-41aa-b40a-c6d5c4e610dc_1521132850.file?fill=1:1&resize=80:*[/IMG]
      BY HEATHER FINN
      Jun 5, 2019[IMG]https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/korey-wise-central-park-5-1559758132.jpg?crop=0.585xw:0.835xh;0.266xw,0.165x h&resize=480:*[/IMG]
      GETTY IMAGES
      • Korey Wise is the oldest of the so-called "Central Park Five."
      • As seen in the Netflix miniseries When They See Us, Korey was tried and sentenced as an adult in the Central Park Jogger case.
      • Korey's charges have since been overturned, and he has become an activist.

Every last part of watching Netflix miniseries When They See Us is devastating. The series, which was created and directed by Ava Duvernay (Selma, 13th), follows the true story of the Central Park Five: five black and Latino teens — Korey Wise, Yusef Salaam, Antron McCray, Raymond Santana, and Kevin Richardson — who were wrongfully convicted and imprisoned for the brutal assault and rape of a 28-year-old female jogger in Central Park.

Watch This Horse Escape From a Trailer
      by Good Housekeeping US
      Previous VideoPauseNext Video
      Unmute
      Current Time 0:44
      /
      Duration 1:36
      Loaded: 0%
      Progress: 0%

Fullscreen
      Playlist Videos

CLICK TO UNMUTE
      As viewers have watched the four-episode series, however, one character's story has struck them as especially heartbreaking — and that's the story of Korey Wise.

Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

An unexpected interrogation

When police began collecting suspects in the 1989 Central Park Jogger case, Korey Wise's friend, 15-year-old Yusef Salaam, was brought in for questioning. In a show of support, Korey decided to accompany him. This turned out to be a grave mistake, however, as the police ended up pulling him into the interrogation room as well.

At 16, Korey was the oldest of the boys who would eventually become known as the "Central Park Five." And because of his age, he was legally allowed to be questioned by detectives without the supervision of a parent or guardian. Combine this with the fact that Korey struggled with hearing issues and a learning disability, and the teen was especially vulnerable to the pressures of the detectives' allegedly aggressive questioning.
      There is no Central Park Five. It was four plus one.
      By the end of his interrogation, Korey had given both a written and a videotaped confession. The details in his statements didn't match the details of the actual crime, and Korey would later say that the police, led by head of the Manhattan D.A.'s sex crimes unit Linda Fairstein, coerced him into submitting a false confession. Serving time in adult prisons

Despite the lack of solid evidence, all five boys were ultimately found guilty of various charges of rape and assault in the Central Park Jogger case. But unlike the other four teens, who were tried as minors and sentenced to five to 10 years in a youth correctional facility (where they could be held until they turned 21), Korey was sentenced to five to 15 years — all of which were to be spent in an adult prison.
      [IMG]https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/korey-wise-central-park-5-when-they-see-us-central-1559758211.jpg?crop=0.557xw:0.836xh;0.235xw,0.164x h&resize=480:*[/IMG] Actor Jharrel Jerome plays Korey Wise in the Netflix miniseries When They See Us. NETFLIX

The teenager was initially sent to Rikers Island, the infamous New York City jail. And as is shown in the fourth and final episode of When They See Us, it was a rough time for him: Just a kid thrust into a group of adult criminals, Korey was subject to great violence and abuse during his time there and in other federal prisons. He also spent several long periods of his incarceration locked away in solitary confinement.

"One of the things that really struck me was when Korey said to me, 'There is no Central Park Five. It was four plus one. And no one has told that story,'" When They See Us director Ava Duvernay told Town & Country. “I think it's important for people to understand the depths of what it means to be incarcerated in adult prisons in this country."

Eventually, Korey met murderer and serial rapist Matias Reyes in prison, and Matias confessed to be to being the actual, lone perpetrator of the Central Park Jogger rape. A DNA test (along with Matias's knowledge of the details of the crime) confirmed his guilt, and in 2002, Korey was released from prison. By that time, he had served 12 years. Looking for justice after wrongful incarceration

WATCH NOW
      After Korey was released from prison and then-District Attorney Robert M. Morgenthau vacated all of the Central Park Five's charges, three of the men — Antron, Kevin, and Raymond — filed a lawsuit against the city of New York for malicious prosecution, racial discrimination, and emotional distress. It took more than a decade and the election of a new mayor (Bill de Blasio), but New York finally finally settled the lawsuit for $41 million. And as the man who had wrongfully served the most time in prison, Korey received the largest portion of the settlement: $12.2 million.

At the end of the day, however, Korey still served more than a decade in prison as an innocent man, and he knows that those are years that the settlement won't give him back: "You can forgive, but you won't forget," he says in Sarah and Ken Burns' 2012 documentary, The Central Park Five. "You won't forget what you lost. No money could bring that time back. No money could bring the life that was missing or the time that was taken away."
      Where Korey Wise is today

[IMG]https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/korey-wise-today-1559767826.jpg?crop=0.694xw:0.496xh;0.185xw,0.0334 xh&resize=480:*[/IMG] Korey Wise attends the premiere of Netflix miniseries When They See Us in New York City. GETTY IMAGES

Today, Korey still lives in New York City, where he works as a public speaker and criminal justice activist. In 2015, he donated $190,000 to the University of Colorado's chapter of the Innocence Project, which then changed its name to the Korey Wise Innocence Project at Colorado Law in his honor.

To this day, Korey's friend Yusef says he still feels "pain" for unintentionally bringing Korey into the Central Park Jogger case — and the release of Netflix's When They See Us only amplifies that feeling.
      We were in paradise compared to the hell that Korey was in.
      "We had all gone through hell. But when I saw this series, I immediately realized that we were in paradise compared to the hell that Korey was in," Yusef recently said in an interview with The New York Times. "I went to jail and I was able to get a college degree. He never got an opportunity to breathe."

Despite all that Korey has been through, however, the now-46-year-old keeps a surprisingly positive attitude — something that Jharrel Jerome, the actor who plays Korey in When They See Us, noticed immediately upon meeting him.

"I was terrified to meet him just because this is the man I'm going to portray, and I don't know how to speak to somebody who's lived a life like that because I've never met anyone like that," Jharrel told Newsweek in a May interview. "The second I met him, he took his chain off and put it around my neck, and he said, 'You're Korey Wise now.' That put everything into perspective for me about the kind of man he is. It's all strength, it's all power. He's all bright."

Comment

Going to have to check this out. Such a fucked up story.

Comment

Originally posted by GotBigInBlues View Post
          Going to have to check this out. Such a fucked up story.
          On the last episode.

Best series by far

Sad shit

Comment

Is this as good as Hannibal or Jack Ryan bro?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
              Is this as good as Hannibal or Jack Ryan bro?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
              totally differnet genre

just watch it.. it will piss u off

Comment

Originally posted by boricuarage79 View Post

totally differnet genre

just watch it.. it will piss u off

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comment

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
                  is that from the show? if so i will watch it!

Comment

It was also politically derived, meaning throughout the whole show there is bad trump talk, even though the Clinton's reigned and at the time these gentlemen were wrongfully accused in New York by the way, Hillary. Trump supported the Clinton's during that time thank buthe smartened up. It wasnt until Bush was in office when these men were exonerated.

Comment

It was also politically derived, meaning throughout the whole show there is bad trump talk, even though the Clinton's reigned and at the time these gentlemen were wrongfully accused in New York by the way, Hillary. Trump supported the Clinton's during that time thank buthe smartened up. It wasnt until Bush was in office when these men were exonerated.
                      and yet Bush is guilty of a whole bunch of horrible shit. it's not about who's in office. they are just the public puppet that we all see. Presidents come and go. no matter what a president does, the next president can just come in and completely reverse everything the previous president accomplished.

i'm a rare breed. I happen to like Obama and I like Trump in many regards though I completely disagree with him on multiple topics. but the point is even though they are polar opposites in how they think and run the country... the average American day to day life is not much different. it's just easy for people to point a finger at a public face and say "that's the bad guy"!

Comment

Not The First TIme Netflix has Fabricated the truth. But of course everyone will blindly follow what the show tells them.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/when-th...t-fabrication/

Linda Fairstein, the woman who oversaw prosecutors interrogations in the notorious Central Park Five case, published an op-ed Monday calling the Netflix series about the case an "outright fabrication." Fairstein, who is now a best-selling crime novelist, was dropped by her publisher last week amid increasing fallout over her role in the 1989 convictions.

In an op-ed for the Wall Street Journal, Fairstein says Ava DuVernay's dramatization of the Central Park Five case is "full of distortions and falsehoods." Fairstein has denied the teens were coerced into confessing, and stands by her belief they should not have been completely exonerated.

The Netflix drama "When They See Us" tells the story of five black and Latino teenagers who were wrongly convicted of the 1989 rape of a New York City jogger during a riot in Central Park. They spent six to 13 years in prison, until DNA evidence and a confession exonerated them in 2002.

Fairstein says the mini-series falsely portrays her as a "bigot" and "evil mastermind," who was "unethically engineering the police investigation." She claims the film's "most egregious falsehoods" are that the teens were being held without access to food, their parents and the bathroom.

The men allege police did coerce them. Last month, they recounted their experiences on "CBS Sunday Morning."

"Soon as we get in, they separate us and they start working on us," said Yusef Salaam. "And I'm hearing Korey [Wise] being physically beaten in the next room. And I'm immediately beyond afraid."

Fairstein insists DuVernay wrongfully portrays the men as totally innocent, arguing there was enough evidence to convict them of first-degree assault, robbery, riot and other charges stemming from the attacks. She says blood stains and dirt were found on some of their clothing, and that "more than a dozen" kids at the park riot named some of or all of them in statements.

DuVernay spoke about the series last month on "CBS This Morning."

"Can we interrogate what's happened in the past to safeguard ourselves from it happening in the future?" she said at the time. "That's why I'm such a student of history. I like to embed historical context in my work. We can only, kind of, better the situation if we realize the details of what happened."

In her op-ed, Fairstein said "Ms. DuVernay does not define me, and her film does not speak the truth."

Comment

She a cunt. Fuk her. U follow the white masses

Comment

She a cunt. Fuk her. U follow the white masses
                            nah but netflix exaggerates the truth. it's been proven in multiple docs they've done. they take the truth and add a dash of bullshit so it's hard for simpletons to know the difference.

i'm sure this women didn't handle this case correctly. i'm sure she could have done a million things better. but i'm also sure these fellas are not the innocent angels netflix wants to tell you they were.

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
                              Not The First TIme Netflix has Fabricated the truth. But of course everyone will blindly follow what the show tells them.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/when-th...t-fabrication/

Linda Fairstein, the woman who oversaw prosecutors interrogations in the notorious Central Park Five case, published an op-ed Monday calling the Netflix series about the case an "outright fabrication." Fairstein, who is now a best-selling crime novelist, was dropped by her publisher last week amid increasing fallout over her role in the 1989 convictions.

In an op-ed for the Wall Street Journal, Fairstein says Ava DuVernay's dramatization of the Central Park Five case is "full of distortions and falsehoods." Fairstein has denied the teens were coerced into confessing, and stands by her belief they should not have been completely exonerated.

The Netflix drama "When They See Us" tells the story of five black and Latino teenagers who were wrongly convicted of the 1989 rape of a New York City jogger during a riot in Central Park. They spent six to 13 years in prison, until DNA evidence and a confession exonerated them in 2002.

Fairstein says the mini-series falsely portrays her as a "bigot" and "evil mastermind," who was "unethically engineering the police investigation." She claims the film's "most egregious falsehoods" are that the teens were being held without access to food, their parents and the bathroom.

The men allege police did coerce them. Last month, they recounted their experiences on "CBS Sunday Morning."

"Soon as we get in, they separate us and they start working on us," said Yusef Salaam. "And I'm hearing Korey [Wise] being physically beaten in the next room. And I'm immediately beyond afraid."

Fairstein insists DuVernay wrongfully portrays the men as totally innocent, arguing there was enough evidence to convict them of first-degree assault, robbery, riot and other charges stemming from the attacks. She says blood stains and dirt were found on some of their clothing, and that "more than a dozen" kids at the park riot named some of or all of them in statements.

DuVernay spoke about the series last month on "CBS This Morning."

"Can we interrogate what's happened in the past to safeguard ourselves from it happening in the future?" she said at the time. "That's why I'm such a student of history. I like to embed historical context in my work. We can only, kind of, better the situation if we realize the details of what happened."

In her op-ed, Fairstein said "Ms. DuVernay does not define me, and her film does not speak the truth."
                              You are taking the word of a person who has issues with they way they were portrayed, who has problems with the exoneration of the CP5 even after DNA evidence and a confession, who is angry that even though they are innocent they are not being punished because they signed confessions and she refuses to believe that those confessions were coerced. She is another one like Trump who just refuse that they were wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X