No announcement yet.

Eliud Kipchoge Smashes Running’s ‘Last Great Barrier’ With Sub-2-Hour Marathon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eliud Kipchoge Smashes Running’s ‘Last Great Barrier’ With Sub-2-Hour Marathon

1:59:40! Eliud Kipchoge makes history as he shatters two-hour marathon barrier in Vienna by 20 SECONDS using LASER guidance, 41 pace-makers and groundbreaking shoes
    • Eliud Kipchoge is the first runner to finish a marathon in under two hours
    • The Kenyan completed the course in Vienna with incredible time of 1:59:40
    • The time will not be an official world record but is nonetheless a historic moment
    • Kipchoge said after: 'I want to inspire many people, that no human is limited'

Amid jubilant scenes in Vienna on Saturday morning, Eliud Kipchoge became the first runner to finish a marathon in under two hours.

The 34-year-old Kenyan completed the course in Vienna, in an incredible one hour, 59 minutes and 40 seconds.

He celebrated with his arms outstretched and waved to the crowds as he sprinted over the line before he was greeted by a loving embrace from his wife Grace.

In incredible scenes Kipchoge was somehow able to keep running as he celebrated with the crowd before being hugged by his INEOS team-mates as he waved aloft the Kenyan national flag.

Afterwards he told the BBC: 'I am feeling good. After Roger Bannister in 1954 it took another 63 years, I tried and I did not get it.

'After 65 years, I am the first man! I want to inspire many people, that no human is limited.'

Kipchoge, the four-time London Marathon winner whose official world record time is 2:01.39, added: 'I can say I'm tired. It was a hard run. Remember, the pacemakers are among the best athletes in the world.

'I can say thank you to them, I appreciate them for accepting and together we made history on this one.

'We can make this world a beautiful world and a peaceful world. My wife and three children, I am happy for them to come and witness history.

'The positively of sport, I want to make it a clean sport and an interesting sport.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ot...er-Vienna.html

if you would have told people even as recently as say 1980 that a sub 2 hour marathon was possible they would have looked at you like you were fucken nuts.

Comment

Working...
    X